HybridZ

Problems with Tokico Springs in a 240Z

Just spent the better part of a week and a half doing struts, springs,sway bars and bushings on my Z. When I get the car back on the ground the front ride height is way low. The front Tokico springs are almost completely compressed. I thought that both front and rear Tokico springs were linear. So I call tokico's tech dept. and send them a pic of the front springs at rest. They return my call after receiving my email and tell me that the front springs are progressive and the rears are linear!??? He states that the progressive rate springs bunch-up more thats why they look like they do. The Tech person was very nice and did return my calls promptly but a think that their springs for this application are crap. Has anyone else had this same problem? I knew that I should of done coilovers!

IMG_1635.JPG

Joe

Ya, HMMMMM... Sounds familiar and like someone needs to use the search function. JK :)

I still haven't gotten this situation totally resolved with my springs yet. Tokico was good to work with but the guys I bought the package from have been very hard to get a hold of. I've been dealing with other things on the car so it hasn't been a hot issue for me but it soon will be again.

So, JoeDatsun, what are your plans now?

Are you using the Energy Suspension poly bushings?

If so did you already cut the bump stops like the Tokico install instructions recommended?

Which struts are you using?

Did you buy one of Tokico's spring/strut package deals?

Did you get them from FastTracks (jdmwerks) on eBay?

I contacted Arizona ZCar and they have springs for the 240 that don't lower it much, are linear and 160 front/180 rear. They go for about $200.00 for a complete set. I haven't ordered any yet as I want to get the situation with the Tokico springs resolved first. Thought you might find them interesting.

Wheelman

I'm not sure what my next move will be. At this point the car is not fun to drive. I did get the springs/struts (HP's) from JDMwerks. I used the energy Suspension Master kit and I did cut the bumpstops. I'm aware of the Arizona Z springs, seems that the feedback is all positve. I was also considering Suspension Techniques springs but I'm worried that I'll end up in the same spot I'm in now.

Joe

Guest zfan

I am running the Arizona Z springs/stock ride hidth. I believe they are 180 up front and 200 out back but it has been two yrs since I put them on. I am running Tokico blues all the way around.

I love them no doubt about it. I am running 240/45-17 out back and 225/45-16's up front with no clearance problems at all.

Mike

I am running the Arizona Z springs/stock ride hidth. I believe they are 180 up front and 200 out back but it has been two yrs since I put them on. I am running Tokico blues all the way around.

I love them no doubt about it. I am running 240/45-17 out back and 225/45-16's up front with no clearance problems at all.

Mike

When I contacted Arizona Z he said the 260/280 springs are the rates you listed and the 240 springs are 160f/180r.

Wheelman

venders on e-Bay are selling adjustable coil over kits cheaper than their shipping charges... 10 bucks for a complete set (that's $2.50 a corner LOL) and 25 dollars for shipping. For some reason I suspect some "get rich quick" vendors are substituting reputable brand name products in their packages to customers???? "sump'n screwed up, here".or are former Enron employees peddling suspension parts????. I am trying to find some honest to goodness coilovers with weight ratings and have to scroll thru a 1000 or more "buy it now" ads to find a couple QA-1., Afco, or Carerra offerings for 600 # or more springs. ..................................................................................................................Has anyone any measurement of the inside diameter of those cheap coilover's aluminum threaded adjusting sleeves...maybe just a hair over 2 inches.... I had a set of Bilsteins adjusting sleeves bored out for 280 struts.

Wheelman,

You are correct about the Arizona Z spring rates. I chose the 260/280 set, which is 180f/200r, and think they're fine. Ride height is perfect.

On a bad or scalloped road, the car rides pretty harsh, but its not supposed to be the family sedan........and I find that a little extra throttle gets the car up on top of the bumps where it rides real nice.

The Arizona 240 160f/180r springs would probably be ok too, but I wonder if they might compress enough to lower the car too much for speed bumps.

Like I say, I like mine just fine.

Bill

I have the same springs/shocks as Zoldman and also like the combination very much. I got the 260/280 springs at ArizonaZ's recommendation since I am doing a V8 swap. The ride height appears stock and they are not too stiff for me.

Dave