HybridZ

3 spd auto>>>5 speed manual

b__sosick

I did a search and didn't find anything similar to what I'm asking...

To the more experienced members, which transmissions would be compatible with my L28?

My nieveness would say any like-model, or a close year, but I'm not so sure.

I have found another 280zx and was thinking about buying it for parts, but the only thing it had to offer really was a manual trans.

I think it is a slightly newer model, maybe an 83, because it says "by nissan" on the rear bumper under 280zx.

There is also another 280zx 5spd at a nearby junkyard, but it is a 2+2. Would that be compatible with my 280zx coupe?

thanks!

Any help is appreciated.

Datsun offered 3 five speed trannys from the 1977 introduction year to 1983.... one from 77-79..... one odd ball only in 1980 and one tranny in '81 to '83. 77'-79' are wide ratio and '81-'83 are close ratio..... 77-79 are good for take-off acceleration. The 81-83 tranny will get you better gas mileage in 5th gear and not get you away from the stop light as the earlier 5 spd.. The 1980 tranny gear ratio is in between the other two tranny's and also there was a Borg warner T5 five speed for Turbo ZX 81-83 and is not the same length as the regular five speeds which will cause interchange problems for driveshaft.... The '81-'83 was coupled to a 3.90 differential and any reduction in the diff gearing sacrfices acceleration.....'75- 78 ...280 z had 3.54 differentia for all trannys i.e. auto 4 & 5 spd... 81-83 turbo zx had 3.54.. 81-83 non turbo have 3.90 and a 85-86 200 sx turbo has a 4.11........I am not sure what earlier automatic equipped Z's had if not in the range of 3.90 to 4.11.?. King cab manual and auto pickups had a 4.10 differential with the 4 cylinder L20 B which is a L6 280 minus 2 cylinders. 2+2 should be same with longer drive shaft....clutch, flywheel, pressure plate are a hair larger and will fit but installed together..Coupe has 550 pressure plate....2+2 slightly hair wider plate surface area. Turbo's have 780 pound pressure plate and a wider plate area. 2+2 tranny with it's pressure plate clutch ,throw out bearing, clutch fork and slave cylinder will bolt right up to the L6... get the 2+2 throw out bearing.... beacause Datsun made a lot of them for Z's in diferent lengths

All of them...shy away from a 1980 five speed because for some reason Datsun had it for one year ?...The turbo Borg Warner T5 is debateable for non turbo and you will need the works and driveshaft.... I would go for an early 77-79 tranny with a 3.90 or 4.11 diff ...get throw out bearing and clutch fork.. because of differences... an 81 -83 tranny will probably be more reliable with less surprises and compatiable to your diff and pinion flange which may save $$$$$$$ my opinion and I have absolutely no experience with the Borg Warner T5 and have only seen pictures.

b__sosick you have a PM

replied.

I don't just need the pedals. I need a full tranny also.

Just to simplify the answer to your question. All of the Nissan 4 and 5 speed transmissions are interchange friendly. Not so the Borg Warner 5 speed. All of the automatic cars I've seen have R180 diffs and 3:54 gears.

thank you very much.

Sorry but sometimes my brain can only digest so much. haha

I just bought a project car and it came with three parts cars. Given time, I will pick them up and offer the parts for sale under the classified section here. They are all 280z models. One is 75, one is 76, and two 78's. Can I assume they are all 5-speeds, and if so, how can I determine the ratios.

I just bought a project car and it came with three parts cars. Given time, I will pick them up and offer the parts for sale under the classified section here. They are all 280z models. One is 75, one is 76, and two 78's. Can I assume they are all 5-speeds, and if so, how can I determine the ratios.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101817

LARRY

Oldest Z Guy - they are probably NOT 5-spd's. The 5-spd became an option in 1977 and appeared on some 77 & 78 models. It was more prevalent in 79 on the new ZX and then became a standard item in '80. Check out any manual and it will give you ways to identify which yours is - or you could just run the lever "thru the gears".

Here Comes Trouble - excellent run down on the tranny's and years offered.

I remember my only regret when I installed a 5-spd and 3.90:1 R200 out of an 83ZX in my 77 was that I hadn't done it five years earlier. It really perked the car up.

Dude.

So lucky to get three parts cars! I have zero (0).

:(

I want an 83 turbo for parts.

• 2 months later...

Kevin... thanks for the compliment about my posts as stick quality... You may not realize that I used to post as Tomahawk Z and was off these boards for two years.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/392a One tranny to consider that is even lowered gear in fierst and secong than the early 77-78 z is the 1977-80 620 pick-up five speed transmission that came with the L 20 B 4 cylinder engine...It is actually the same tranny but lower geared and bolts right up.. I had a 77 Z with a bad 5 speed and replaced it with 4 speed (same tranny case and length) from a 620 pick-up. The z motor was weak and the struts were worn but that Z thought it was a jack rabbit in first and second gear peeling rubber in second gear with the front end reaching for the sky and the rear sqautting to feel the asphalt. The front end with the worn strut cartridges lifted so high you could not see down the road. I have had 620 Pick-ups for years and they were always about the lowest geared of the imports trucks of their time. Datsun rated them at one ton. You may get on a 620 website and find out more about the 5 speed gearing http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=8223&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/my_photos

Guest Swede958

Sorry for sort of a thread jack, especially for my first post here....

Is there any major reason 'not' to use the 80' 5 speed tranny? Besides the fact that it was used for only 1 year? I work at autozone (unfortunately) and happened to look up rebuild kits and clutches for different year 280zxs and they all came up the same... seems like it'd be the best of both worlds with a little more pick up off the line compared to 81-83 and a little bit better milage from the 77-79?

If one were to pull off a 5 speed from another car, what would one need? Obviously the tranny and pedals, but what else? Flywheel, clutch M/C and slave cylinder, are the lines worth salvaging or should new ones be bent up, does the ecu need to be grabbed or will the auto's timing and fuel curves work along with the manual, throwout bearing,

anything else...

Sorry for the noob post... thought we might be able to lay out everything needed. Also, any tips or things to avoid from anyone who's done it? Like any wiring for neutral safety switches that might need changing or stuff like that?

The Swede

The '80 model 5-spd has the same gear ratios in 1st thru 4th as the 81-83 but it's 5th gear is like a .777:1 while the 81-83 is a .745:1 which gives them a bit better cruising mpg. The idea wass for the 80-83 5-spds to have equivalent accelleration with the 3.90:1 R200 that the 77-79 5-spds had with the 3.54:1 R200 - and then cruise at a bit lower rpm in 5th.