HybridZ

does paint effect IC efficiency?...

I'm sure it would effect it to some degree, however I don't think it would amount to enough to worry about. Copper radiators get painted all the time. Just don't spray in so much that it looks like sombody smeared colored peanut butter on it!

Theoretically, black paint transfers heat better than nothing at all. I remember there was a discussion about that some time ago on here. From that discussion, it was shown that paint, other than black, on a radiator had very little effect on its performance.

!M!

Guest bastaad525

I asked this question a long time ago. When I took my I/C to a radiator place to have it acid-bathed, they took it upon themselves to paint the I/C silver (???? it's an aluminum I/C... dumbasses...). I was pretty pissed... they never asked me. But anyways, I haven't done and scientific testing or anything, but I can say the I/C seems to be doing a great job, paint or no. I'm running 13psi every day on 91 octane and never get a ping. I'll eventually get around to removing the paint... eventually.....

painting a logo or something like that won't really affect the efficiency notably... however if you paint the whole thing it WILL hurt efficiency. The only real way to change the IC's color without hurting efficiency is to anodize it (which actually helps increase thermoconductivity).