HybridZ

Comparing driveshafts, question

EZ-E

I have an 82 280zx turbo, I was at the track and snapped the tiny little ujoint at the slip yoke for the transmission like a twig.

Well I took the shaft to the machinist today to have it redone and they said that they could not upgrade me much more then what the stock ujoint size was due to the size of the slip yolk.

This is on a B/W T-5 transmission.

Now I currently have a 87 300ZX LSD in the car, and this is where my question comes into play.

One of two options. One, knowing that the 84-86 Z31 turbos still use the Borg unit, if the drives shafts are the same length, then could I use that turbo drive shaft in my ZX?

If not that, on the second question does the earlier Mustang T-5 equipped cars use the same spline yolk that we do in the S130 and I could use my Z31 shaft that would go into the differential so that I could have a larger drive shaft made with larger ujoints?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this

I don't know what's available for the slip yoke but you can run a Spicer 1310 in the rear, I do but have a larger Toyota front joint. I would think that if Neapco and Spicer make a conversion for the diff end there would be something for the front.

Yeah I saw that but the cost is outrageous. Wish I knew more about the Z31 turbo tranny though, Im thinking it might work and at least it wouldnt cost me a small fortune.

OMG!! I just happened to check on that drive shaft for the ZX turbo, 899$

:o

My driveshaft shop made me an entire new unit with two 1310 solid joints. They took a non WC slip yoke from a GM T5 and machined it down to fit the Nissan T5 tailshaft housing. I used the larger rear flange on the 300ZX LSD, also. All off the shelf stuff, besides the machine work. It's not aluminum, but I think its probably better than the stock Nissan unit, and I can change the joints cheaply and easily. It only cost me about $400 all told for a complete custom shaft that bolts right in.

If memory serves me right, I think the 300ZX T5 has the same slip yoke size as the 280ZXT trans.

Aaron

Well from comparing notes it seems the transmissions are the same so I will hope that the driveshaft is the same.

I didnt know that you could use the GM verison as all the information that I have found says that all other T5's have a 28 spline or in the case of Ford have a 28 or 31 slpine yoke.

Figures that Nissan would be the only one to have a 24 based on a 26 spline slip yoke.

Im not sure that it is or isnt, Im going on all that I have found just off the net and you know how that goes.

I found a 84 Z31 driveshaft for 42 delivered so Im hoping since they use the same transmission that it will work and Ill have a bit more size on the ujoints as well.