HybridZ

bad compression

jonnymrp

i just bought a 76 280z and i thought i would play around a bit befor i start the tare down my plans for the car is to put a v8 in it. i did a compression test in all the cylinders and my adverage psi was in the 30 range is this a common thing to go wrong in these engines, and how much would a fuel injected l28 sell for that is in this condition with the tranny, all in good shape im assumeing.

jon...

I think you'd be lucky to get $100.. init's current condition. With 30psi across the board I'm thinking it needs rings, bad. One of those things though, you don't know for sure till you tear the thing down.. Does it even run at this point?

In good runing condition I supose you could get $500-$1000 depending on the person who wants it..

no it doesent run. everything is there though spark, gas, theres just not enough compression to get any real heat in the cylinders so it will not kick over. like i said i dont relly care about the state of the engine im more just wondering if its a common thing to see on these cars

Guest billyzbear

You may want to check valve clearance. How fast is the motor turning? You could also do a wet test. Put a cap full of oil in the cyl and then check compression. That will find out if it's the rings.

Guest bastaad525

Stock L28 in unknow/not running condition isn't going to sell for much. Even if it is running most I've ever seen an L28 sell for is like $300. The trans might add $100.