HybridZ

81 280zx diff. ??????

rwdawg2

i know this has probably been talked about many of times but i just can not seem to find the info i am looking for so if any of you experts could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

ok i am rebuilding my dad's Stock N/A 1981 280zx and i do not know what to do about the R200 diff. it is completely shot.

so my ? is what is the best route to go when rebuilding or replacing the diff.

i have heard alot about the vlsd's that the 240sx's have but i do not know the extent of installation

i have also heard about the z31 and z32 rearends but do not know what all is involved with the installation once again

o yeah i forgot to mention that i was tring to go for an lsd

but anyways if any of you guys could tell me what in the world i need to do i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks and i look foward to hearing from alot of you veterans on this topic

Guest 305240

I'm a little confused here. Why would you need an LSD for a stock engine? In those years even the R180 held up fine in front of an automatic as well as a stick shift.

If you are going to transplant a SBC or SBF into it, or even trick out the inline, snag yourself an R200 out of a 81 thru 83 ZX. That will hold up.

where do i find one it has been the hardest thing to find any type of diff that will fit this old car

and plus i want the lsd b/c we plan on doing the motor next and it will be a little more fun in an lsd after everything is done

plus right now i am just trying to get it running

so where do i find these parts or rearends

thanks

Guest 305240

Try your local Junkyard, friends, classifieds, and Ebay. You just have to hunt for them. They are around. Try a parts locater at any JY. You can even do it online.

LSD makes a HUGE difference in the way the car handles. If you just drive in a straight line maybe it isn't worth it, but if you like corners LSD is a huge advantage.

Z31 Turbo diff from 87-89 came with LSD. Good luck finding one. Other than that slim possibility search the drivetrain forum for LSD and you'll find hundreds of posts about them, how to install, where to buy, how they work, etc.

You can buy adapters to use the Z31 turbo shafts from http://www.modern-motorsports.com or you can use the shafts out of a 280Z with an R200 (you can use your existing halfshafts, but you need the little stub shafts that plug into the sides of the diff). I would suggest buying the adapters for a 240, because of the R200 handling issues article on John's site:http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/index.html

hrm alright, i remember reading that article a little while ago on johns site i have a pair of 280z axles once i source a mustache bar and get my stuff in line im going to check to see if they bind. CV swap isnt in the budget right now, i wish i could afford more of Ross' parts i love dealing with him and he has great prices... :)

i guess i will just look for some z31 diffs and try that

bc finding a r200 is imposible

anyways if any of you guess have any more info i can use concerning a new rearend in the 280zx please let me know

thanks again guys

i was wondering if anyone has ever used the

240sx LSD guts and transplanted them into the stock diff so no readjusting of mounting points

anyways it just came to me and i was wondering if anyone has tried this and what all i would need from it to work

such as

axles, bearings, etc..

let me know if any of you guys have any insight on this

thanks