HybridZ

Product Packaging Rant

Guest greimann

Guest greimann

So I go to open a new box of cereal this morning and the bag inside must have been made of a kind of Teflon, Kevlar, Tyvek, plastic superalloy that is impossible to open unless you use a diamond tipped, ceramic scalpel. Then this afternoon, I open a bag of chips and the damn thing splits wide open and as if it were some kind of holiday pinata, spraying tortilla chips all over the floor (to the delight of the dogs!). fmad.gif

What is going on with product packaging these days? CD's that are impossible to open. Heavy gauge, vacuum / heat sealed plastic cocoons around other products that will come open with nothing less than a carpet razor knife (forget scissors)!!??

If anyone out there is responsible for this, do us all a favor and take a long walk on a short pier! twak.gif

Yes, overpackagings not just annoying but a poor use of resources, and some of it will be around for a long while. A thousand years from now they'll dig up a styrofoam cup with Colonel Sanders' face on it and conclude "we've come across this image alot...he must have been a great holyman."

Heavy Z

Worst packaging ever...

Hewlett Packard's packaging for one ink-jet catridge:

8 1/2 x 11 heavy plastic welded edge panel.

8 1/2 x 11 cardboard display panel

5 x 5 x 2 cardboard box

slightly smaller cardboard box

instruction pamplet

Mylar bag

1 CD full of advertising

1 CD sleeve

two separate multi-page advertising pamphlets

5 single page advertising inserts

Even all my years of powerlifting and body building couldn't open a simple bag of candy my wife needed open on a road trip. Finally stuck an ink pen through the side, and the thing split top to bottom (once a stress tear developed a child could have opened it) with candy going down every possible opening in the console, shifter, and between the seats. Crazy like a fox???. Yeah, time for another bag.

Try opening a Barbie for your daughter.

They must give the packagers an extra fish head for every plastic coated steel twist tie they warp around each appendage. Do they really need a wire twist tie on Barbie's purse? And for some reason they actual sew hard pieces of plastic to hold the hair to the packaging so the he-man approach is guaranteed to produce a cascade of tears when you hand over a bald doll.