HybridZ

Where did you run your braided lines?

dat240zg

Here is a picture of how I did mine. It's not braided but it will at least give you an idea. The line is 3/8" stainless brake line I got from NAPA and I ran it in basically the same location as the stock fuel and brake lines. There is a thread somewhere that discussed the relative merits of putting the lines in the tunnel or next to the frame rails the way the 280 has them so you might do a search for it.

fuellineroute.jpg

Wheelman

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving old threads, but at least it means I am doing some research :).

I am going to replace my fuel return line on my 240Z and this posts interest me, currently the engine is out and the box is still in the car. From the picture it looks like i really need to remove the box in order to remove the old line and install the new line, would you all agree?

Thanks.

I personally never run the fuel lines in the tunnel. Too close to a driveshaft that could rip the lines to shreds, even with a driveshaft loop. You may think the same if you had the "pleasure" of seeing the mess that a broken u-joint can cause. I have mine run down next to the frame rails. Basically where the stock lines ran in my 280Z.

Jody

I personally never run the fuel lines in the tunnel. Too close to a driveshaft that could rip the lines to shreds, even with a driveshaft loop. You may think the same if you had the "pleasure" of seeing the mess that a broken u-joint can cause. I have mine run down next to the frame rails. Basically where the stock lines ran in my 280Z.

Jody

If you have ever seen the "frame rails" on a 240 you would rethink that advice.

If you run them all the way up top where wheelman's brake line is you have a little more protection against driveshaft failures. I am going to try and run 3/8 inch lines in the same place that the stock lines were.

If you have ever seen the "frame rails" on a 240 you would rethink that advice.

I was going to ask you to expand and then i thought let me go and see..

I see your point the width of the frame rail is so thin that a 3/8" pipe won't be able to run across the side of the frame rail without it just sticking out above it.

I have never owned or worked on a 240, but if the stock lines are in the tunnel, I would still try and find a better route. I ran tubular subframe connectors adjacent to the stock frame rails in my car, maybe something like that would work for both strength and protection for fuel and brake lines.

I wouldn't run the lines along the bottom of the car unprotected.

IMO there is no safe place to run fuel lines in the DS tunnel. The driveshaft lets go and it takes out nearly everything in the tunnel. To each their own.

Jody