HybridZ

what gearbox for rb26 240z?

rb26zed

hi, just started my project, a 240z with a rb26. my original plan was a rb25 turbo 5 speed. got prices of between $1500 and $2000 aus. this seems expensive. wanted to hear what gearbox others have used or prices you've seen rb25 turbo 5 speeds for in australia. engine will have a single gt35/40 high mount plus many other mods and expect 400hp+ @ the wheels.

Guest JAMIE T

If you can get a GT-R trans, you can swap the bellhousing with a 300ZXTT box. The '25 tranny is the most common. I've seen them for as little as $700 here in the states.

I am using the R33 RB25DET 5 speed "the big box" they are internally the same as the GTR, but only rear wheel drive of course. These box's are suppose to be good for 500kw.

I paid NZ$2,000 for mine, they are quite rare out here, as most the jap import skylines are autos.

I squealed when i had to pay that price too, but i shopped around and thats what they're worth.

they pop up on skylinesaustralia.com quite often.

sorry to go off topic but i started that club with a couple of other mates a few years back :D i had an GTS-t R33 which was a decent car. had too much power for me at the time so naturally it ended up hitting a parked car at 100km/h and forced me to loose my license for 3 months with a seperate speeding incident. ahh those were my stupid street hoon days.

Thats what I was quoted in NZ as well' date=' better off getting one in australia, they pop up on skylinesaustralia.com quite often.

Nice engine in your avatar, looks suspiciously like mine :P[/quote']

Yeah, it is yours mate! :-) Rob sent me the pics when i first enquired into him building me a plenum, i notice that he has built mine slightly different to yours.

Sorry for the hijack.