HybridZ

Couple of new guy questions..Big block capable ? and exhaust

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it possible to do the same swap with a big block since they use similar mounts ?

I have seen some of your guys web pages you have great exhaust. Are you fabing all the pipe from headers back? Or is there a kit somewhere?

Thanks in advance. Thinking of starting a conversion if I can find a good bodied 240 or 280...

D.Brisson

Michael and Ron Jones have Big Block Chevy's in their Z's - they should be able to help. But I don't think the swap is quite as straight forward as the block is longer.

I built all my exhaust from the headers back. Alot of work, but not that hard to do if you have a MIG. I bought J-bends of 2.5" steel mandrel bent pipe (Summit, Jegs, Hooker, etc.) and straight lengths from the local parts house. Measure, measure, cut long, trial fit, trim, tack weld, seam weld, repeat process. See my site and click on "Exhaust" to see the results.

It's alot easier to just right a check and take it to the exhaust shop!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Big block V8 Z conversions take lots of extra effort. While the block mounts the same as the small block, the fit is much tighter. The frame rails won't clear even block hugger headers without notching or relocating the rails. I don't think the engine will fit in the JTR setup - not enough clearance for the starter, the steering shaft, etc. Mine is set back 6.25" from the JTR setup by relocating the firewall and reworking the frame rails, among other things. You CAN get the car balanced and everything to clear, but by the time you're done, you might as well have built a complete tube-frame car and draped the body skin over the frame. I can't say that it was worth the money or the effort.

Big block parts are much more expensive than small block parts; I wish I took notice of that before I began my project. Typically double the price. Edelcrock aluminum heads are $1650. Better heads are $2000+. While decent small block heads can be found for $900 or less. Likewise for the bottom-end components. Much of the beauty of the V8 swap is in the bang-for-the-buck and ease of finding parts. But that's really only true for small blocks.

But, once you get the conversion to work for the big block, downgrading to a small block is a breeze. I just might follow that route myself, if rebuilding my present engine proves to be too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest racerzs

I debated a while whether to post a reply here or not, I don't want to step on any toes here. As some of you know I am an avid BIG BLOCK Chevy fan. Its not that I hate small blocks, It's just a preference thing. Like Ford and Chevy. With that said I have done both big block and small block Z conversions. The fit is tighter yes, Big blocks wont allow for headers with out mods. as will small blocks. But I do not feel it is any more difficult to install a Big Block. As far a the expense, I have not compared part to part. But I know of several friends that are spending lots of money trying to get their smaller motors to produce the power that some of the more economical big blocks are. Brad Barkley

[This message has been edited by racerzs (edited January 06, 2001).]