HybridZ

Bigger rims, by themselves, do not cause a rough ride. Of course suspension is usually the biggest factor as well as the surface you are driving on. Depending on the sidewall makeup of a tire, generally speaking a race type tire will have stiff sidewalls and improve turn in and provide less tire roll, were as, a softer sidewall will provide a nicer ride but less performance. And as we all know....one man's rough ride is another man's soft ride. I know most people would think my Z rides rough but I think it rides damn near perfect!

It is probably the tire profile that is killing you. Taller tire sidewalls soak up the road bumps better. If you are running 17's then my guess is you are also running a 45 series tire to keep the overall tire height down. A 60 or even 50 series tire will not be as harsh on the street. Springs and struts play a big role in all this. But I can really feel the difference between my 60 series street tires and 50 series autocross tires.

Bigger wheels do typically weight more. That is not what you want for a smooth ride.