HybridZ

Eaton (fuller) Air Shifter Knob--IDEAS PLEASE

BillZ260

Going through my dads place I came across a 1974 Eaton shift knob from one of his old dumptrucks, I am guessing is was his Mack but anyways... I am going to use it as my shift knob and I was wondering if there was any thing I could use the air switch for? Just thought I would post this up to see what you keen guy's could come up with. It looks pretty cool, not TOO truck like and the switch is at the thumb, not in the front like most are today.

Basically I like the way it looks, and I am incorporating it to remember my dad. ( I noticed it was made in 1974 so it matches the 260 :) ) I Would like to make the switch functional but not sure for what or how. There are 4 lines that run up underneath w/ compression type fittings, so pretty simple to hook up, I'll have to look at what they are labled...

I'll try to get some pics up if there is lot's of feedback. I couln'd find any picks online but I'll get something together...

Thanks for hearing me out!

Later

Does it have two shift buttons or one 3 position button? If it has four lines it's probably off a 13 speed roadranger.

Not sure what you could use it for, maybe some airshocks?

John

One button 3 possitions OD/DIR/LOW has 6position diagram on it w/ Rev @ the top left and the I think low was just below it, the rest had dual numbers for the different gears.

Been thinking about it, it won't really lend itself to smooth shifting, so I think I'll save it for a truck project, been wanting an early bronco or something for the bad weather driving.

could be off of a 13 or 18 speed, 18 speeds can split the low side as well as the high side and is the ultimate of transmissions for heavy hauling, wish I had one in my truck, but the 14-6-13 is really the second best transmission. The problem I see is where are you going to get air to use the shifter and what are you going to shift with it? Trucks use air assisted shift and have an air compressor to provide air. I guess you could use vacuum, but what are you going to switch with it?

Yeah, the more i have thought about it I dunno what I would shift w/ it. I took it apart and it looks pretty worn, so I might not even work, although it looks rebuildable. Maybe I'll get a 74 Bronco i've been wanting and stick it on there.