HybridZ

whats the best way to protect polished engine parts?

260ZRED

I have a brand new just-got-done-polishing-it valve cover that I do not want to ever have to polish again!! Also got some misc. engine parts that are nicely polished.. mirror finish, no scratches, etc. Very nice stuff.

What are your recomendations on how to protect these engine bay parts? I dont want the aluminum to get dull. Is it best to paint clearcloat? or maybe powder-coat clear? other methods?

thx in advance,

Igor

Guest Battle Pope

Have you ever heard of ZoopSeal? A friend of mine used it on the wheels on his Honda Valkyrie, and it works like a charm! Protects, eases the cleaning process, and lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

Downsides are it's a tad expensive (just over a benjamin retail) and the application procedure takes awhile. It will certainly do what you want, though!

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

Yes, Zoops is the only product like on the market and it is readily available. Like the Pope just mentioned it is EXPENSIVE, but works. Polishing can be pain, especially on parts with a lot of angles--the Zoops product keeps you from all the maintenance work and that is priceless. I have yet to pony up the money for the product, but I will once the engine is installed.

Davy

Is it possible to clear powdercoat polished (mirror-like) aluminum??..the question is..will the powder stick to it?

Ah, a good question for one of our resident painters or powdercoaters! Guys?

Davy

Guest Battle Pope

If your powdercoater can get it to stick, it will dull the finish a little bit.

Having polished parts isn't something you can get away with a one-time expense. Polishing looks really cool, but the last thing it is will be maintenance-free, regardless of what you do to it. ZoopSeal is probably your best bet.

Have you ever heard of ZoopSeal? A friend of mine used it on the wheels on his Honda Valkyrie' date=' and it works like a charm! Protects, eases the cleaning process, and lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

Downsides are it's a tad expensive (just over a benjamin retail) and the application procedure takes awhile. It will certainly do what you want, though!

http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp[/quote']

Interesting stuff but has anyone checked out the website and read the instructions for applying the stuff? Sounds to me like a pretty involved and time consumming process. It would seem to me that one could repolish their aluminum parts about 3 times for the same given time as properly applying zoopseal. When I've repolished my aluminum, the finish generally lasts about 12 months. Repolishing will likely be needed more frequently if you live near a large body of water. Again....interesting stuff!