HybridZ

Bumper required in CA?

rudypoochris

ok i want to do the dual rear exaust thing where it goes through the rear (diffuser? metal thing that is below the bumper) and i think it will work/look infinately better without a rear bumper, do you think the cops would care? or they are oblivious?

Hey that sounds cool!

Where have I seen that before?

sumprear.jpg

Cops haven't bothered me yet.

passenger cars original equipped with front and rear bumpers are required to have both front and rears ...

pickup trucks do not come from the factory with rear bumpers ...

you may be thinking of that.

because the bumper is so thin in the 240z most cops don't even know it's missing.

the VW guys with the stinger pipes like to remove the rear bumpers.

the cops tend to notice them. the missing bumper gets added to the list of things on the fix it ticket.

i guess as long as you aren't doing anything stupid, you probably don't have too much to worry about with no rear bumper ...

the front bumper, that tends to be the one they notice ...

back in the 70's they used to pull a u turn to go after my brother in his 55 chevy.

on a 55 pull that bumper off, shed some weight ...

to keep from being pulled over weld a pipe together and bolt it to the front . i forget why, but he dropped the back bumper ... he never got pulled over for that ( lic plate on 55 mounts to the trunk lid ).

yeap, calif law says if came with front and rear ... you need front and rear

vw guys put nerf bars on the bugs ... some cops think those are fine, others still write a ticket ...

now, on fix it ticket you get to pay the fine and get it signed off as repaired

... find an officer that agrees a nerf bar is a bumper, he signs it off.

upsetting thing is, you still have to pay the fine, even if a car friendly officer signs off the ticket

Dan's reply came in while i was 2 finger typing ...

if you look at Dan's car ... appears to be factory original.

quite a few of the new cars have the plastic covers over the rear bumpers, they mold right into the body.

if one does as beautiful a job as Dan and his body man ( i could only wish to have those skills ) have done, most everyone will think it came from the factory that way. not must chance of anyone asking where your rear bumper is.

8814240Z-350-rear-low.jpg

thats two240's car, to give credit where it is due, and i think it looks pretty sweet, i want to do something similar to that but im wondering 1 does this looks tock enough not to get pulled over? and 2... how does one fix the indentation where the bumper used to be? (hammertime?)