HybridZ

LT1 intake question

I was just curious if it is possible to flip the intake manifold 180 degrees on a '93 LT1 so that it faces the rear of the car. I just thought this might make for more air scoop options, one would have to cut into the firewall and have some creative ducting but I thought it'd be interesting. I know there's a little threaded plug on the back of the block by the intake manifold, can that be removed and sealed by the intake or plugged with an allen wrench style plug?

Not sure if it would bolt up, but there would be a lot of issues to deal with. I think the threaded plug you are referring to is where I mounted the oil pressure sending unit. I guess if your's isn't there (or you relocated it), you could possibly plug that like you mentioned. In my installation the back of the intake manifold is extremely close to the firewall. I think you would run out of room to design an intake that would flow well even with extensive modification to the firewall. In addition, the fuel lines would be on the front of the car, and it probably wouldn't look all that great.

I have also been considering this as an interesting cowl induction system. I think it would be doable with the LT1. The hole in the back of the block is for the oil pressure sender. You could plug it and pick up the oil pressure at another point.

I have the '93 intake, so my fuel lines are actually then on the passenger side of the car and much closer to the firewall at that point (note the pic). Other hoses and such from the intake would have to be rerun. As for the oil pressure sending unit I haven't decided yet where to put it. You could cut a hole in the firewall, split the intake, come up and have dual ram air... but perhaps I'm just dreaming, I know it'd be a LOT of work, but damn, really unique.

smaller%20reverse.JPG

There should be a NPT plug (3/8" or 1/2") just above the oil filter. I believe it's for the oil cooler option.

Cutting a large hole into the fire wall, may compromise the structrual integrity.

The fire wall adds alot of strength in that area. In fact, I welded up some of the (factory stamped) holes there.

I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage to doing this.

A cowl induction setup would give the same advantage that a Cold Air Intake gives. With the LT1 intake it's very easy to run the intake tubing to the front of the radiator core support to pull cold air and it's a whole lot less of a hassle than rotating the intake 180 degrees.

Not only do you have to figure out the oil pressure sender puzzle but the TB is now backwards and becomes a major PITA to operate and you have to cut the firewall and loose the hood latch. Seems to me a lot of hassle for a little wow factor.

Wheelman