HybridZ

feelings on turbonetics turbochargers

Guest fixitluis

Guest fixitluis

i have a t-76 with a q-trim and .81 turbine houseing i just wanted to know all of your opinions because i see a lot of you guys like garrett

I hear garrett is the cream of the crop in gas, Holset rocks in diesel applications. I just got a new Holset 4 series high altitude mapwidth enhanced turbo for my 400BCIII and it rocks baby. Of course my engine is turned up, but it's making 30psi boost and planting 550HP and over 1800 lb-ft to the ground. The old turbo wouldn't make over 21psi.

There isn't enough space on this forum to tell you the problems I've had with Turbonetics. But, here's a small example: The last T76 I bought from them, I put on a customers 20B rotary. It failed the 360 degree thrust bearing in under a week. That's par for the course unless you're a big name racer who's sponsored; I suspect that they're using actual Garrett parts in those turbos...After years with a strong foot-hold here, the Japanese have quit buying their crap, all together, due mostly to premature failure. A while back, all of their good engineers quit and formed their own company because they were tired of the BS.

All I can say is our racecar used to run Turbonetics...nothing but problems. The team used to have rebuild the turbos after every 3 pulls. Now we run Garret, The team has yet to rebuild them midway through the season. We also had a major power increase because of the efficiency gain using the same size turbos. When it comes to turbos, you get what you pay for. Check out our drag civic at http://www.aempower.com It's a full tube frame pro RWD car running a acura NSX V6 making over 1800 HP on methanol. 6.52@115MPH Not bad!

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I am guessing this is a little known fact, but Garrett and Turbonetics are just about the same thing. Honeywell owns Garrett, Turbonetics, Spearco and just about everything else you can think of. The biggest thing about Turbonetics is they make a few wheels of there own, and they make there own housings all of very good quality. I am not to crazy about the wastegates but if you have proper turbo sizing and correct BOV arrangements you shouldn't have a problem. 390 degree bearing is T3 hype, I would rather a steel 180 to a high bronz 390 and 90% of turbo failures are due to incorrect combination / installer errors. If your using a 76 Q its going to be a big shaft thick thrust bearing unit that can be boosted very high for a very long time. As long as the rest of your set up is correct. Remember at least two high flowing BOV's, no BS turbo XS or cheapy $150.00 units off Ebay. Tail, Turbonetics godzilla or the larger body race BOV's placed correctly. That turbo combination your dealing with will make 800hp and run with any of the competition. Good choice.

I am guessing this is a little known fact, but Garrett and Turbonetics are just about the same thing. Honeywell owns Garrett, Turbonetics, Spearco and just about everything else you can think of. The biggest thing about Turbonetics is they make a few wheels of there own, and they make there own housings all of very good quality. I am not to crazy about the wastegates but if you have proper turbo sizing and correct BOV arrangements you shouldn't have a problem. 390 degree bearing is T3 hype, I would rather a steel 180 to a high bronz 390 and 90% of turbo failures are due to incorrect combination / installer errors. If your using a 76 Q its going to be a big shaft thick thrust bearing unit that can be boosted very high for a very long time. As long as the rest of your set up is correct. Remember at least two high flowing BOV's, no BS turbo XS or cheapy $150.00 units off Ebay. Tail, Turbonetics godzilla or the larger body race BOV's placed correctly. That turbo combination your dealing with will make 800hp and run with any of the competition. Good choice.

I'm not too sure about how correct you are on the Turbonetics is owned by Honeywell statement.

For a fact, Turbonetics does own Spearco, and another fact is that Honeywell does own Garrett. But no way in hell are the two companies the same.

Anyone else have a comment about this? I've searched the Honeywell far and wide by typing in Spearco and Turbonetics and came up with nothing. I typed in Garrett and got like 100+ hits.

Honeywell does not own Turbonetics. Even if they did, they would have to have two differant engineering departments because there is no way a Garrett turbo and Turbonetics turbo are the same. All you need to do is look at them and you can see the quality differance. This is why we switched from Turbonetics to Garrett.

I blew up a TO4S turbonetics turbo 70 mph on a turn at 3000 rpm, while testing a Nissan R32... That car then had a HKS TO4S installed, gets better response, power, and a better feeling of safety of not having smoke pour out of your engine bay.

At least from my point of view, on aircraft, Honeywell owns Garret/Airesearch, which bought Turbonetics a few years back. We were getting our aircraft turbos overhauled by Turbonetics after sending them to Honeywell. Lots of premature failures. I will not install a Turbonetics "overhauled" turbo on any aircraft or car for that matter again.

Just my .02

Aaron

Turbonetics uses all their own parts. Housings, wheels, bearings, etc. are not Garrett original parts. As a professional welder I can tell you that the turbonetics housings are made of some of the dirtiest castings I have ever welded on (followed closely by Hitachi). They are very porous and filld with inclusions of who-knows-what. If you take a good look at their compressor wheels, they have tiny casting slag on the leading edge and in some places on the flat area of the blade itself. Garrett uses the 360 deg. thrust bearing in all of their high performance T28's. The ones with the 270 bearing fail the bearing early, under heavy loads. Many of the Turbonetics turbo failures I have seen were split thrust bearings that you just don't see on Garrett turbos. Like I said before, I doubt the big name Turbonetics sponsored guys are getting crappy turbos. They're more likely built with Garrett parts.