HybridZ

Smaller OD Adjustable Coilovers

I'm not sure of the exact number, but I know the following:

With the stock springs, I believe that you are limited to wheels with a 4" backspace(the stock wheels have 3.875" BS).

With coil-overs, I run a 5" backspace (15x8" and 16x8") with a fraction of an inch to spare. With coil-overs and wheels with 5" of backspace, I am able to run 245/45/16 under the stock whell wells.

My coilover springs fit inside the stock springs with room to spare. The coilovers are also less than half the weight of the stock springs.

Most importantly, coil-overs are cool.:confused2

If you know the diameter of the old springs and the diameter of the coilover springs, subtract the difference and divide by two. This will give you the answer. If I remember correctly I gained approximately 5/8" additional clearance on my 240, when I changed to a coilover setup.

"If you know the diameter of the old springs and the diameter of the coilover springs, subtract the difference and divide by two"

Dont you mean divide by 4???

Because - the spring is a circle, and when you increase/decrease diameter you would do it proportionally from all sides,

For example, if you increased the spring diameter by 20mm - its not 10mm at the top and at the bottom, its 5mm top & bottom and 5mm left and right???

"If you know the diameter of the old springs and the diameter of the coilover springs' date=' subtract the difference and divide by two"

Because - the spring is a circle, and when you increase/decrease diameter you would do it proportionally from all sides,

For example, if you increased the spring diameter by 20mm - its not 10mm at the top and at the bottom, its 5mm top & bottom and 5mm left and right???[/quote']

See, see! I told you that Australian beer is a lot stronger than the stuff we get. :cheers::banghead:

"If you know the diameter of the old springs and the diameter of the coilover springs' date=' subtract the difference and divide by two"

For example, if you increased the spring diameter by 20mm - its not 10mm at the top and at the bottom, its 5mm top & bottom and 5mm left and right???[/quote']

Dividing the diameter by two gives you the radius (half the diameter). So the difference you are concerned about (additional wheel clearance) only deals with one side of the spring (adjacent to the tire/wheel). Basically, smaller spring diameter.....more clearance.

It will all be much clearer after a couple more beers!