HybridZ

79 starts SOMETIMES, but hardly ever idles.

I think I just need a new starter, alternator, spark plugs and wires, but maybe I'm missing something else.

Sometimes she won't start, unless I pump the gas whilst turning the key.

And if I let the rpm's drop beneath about 1,000, she sputters and will die unless I tap the gas a little bit.

suggestions?

ps this makes driving around town hell, I have to left foot brake wherever I go, so i can keep my foot on the gas a little bit. (heel toe'ing can get quite tiring after a while, left foot braking seems easy and more convienient.)

Pumping a fuel injected car's accelerator shouldn't do anything unless there's some airflow/fuel metering problem. You might have some sort of gigantic air leak somewhere or a sticky A/F meter. Questions: Does it run smoothly above 1K RPM. Any smoke when it is blubbering. If so what color.

oh and There is duct tape around the afm

I don't know why

(remember, I just bought this car and am working out all the bugs that I can.)

for some reason it seems like i have to start her cold. If I drive up to autozone or something and shut it off it won't start for a long time after wards, and the exhaust manifold is incredibly hot.

it reminds me that I need a new header/exhaust

• 1 month later...
oh and There is duct tape around the afm

Is the tape before or after the AFM? Try running the car with the AFM unplugged and see if there's a difference, run it for a while, maybe 5-10 mins.

Edit: I just realized that you have a parts car. Try swapping the AFM and intake (the one without duct tape on it) over to this car and see if it makes a difference. A crappy AFM combined with a massive air leak could cause some of the above issues.