HybridZ

Coilover installation questions

Hey guys, In my ground control 280z kit, they say that the front setups need a washer on top of the upper spring perch, but not in the back, but they give you four washers, do you use two on each side? Also are bump stops needed when running coilovers? Ive looked at a few setups and it looks like they didnt run any bumpstops, is this reccomended?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

John

With your spring backed off or removed check the compression of your strut. If the strut housing gland nut hits the spring seat, you need bumpstop. If it doesnt hit the spring seat and bottoms in the cartridge, you need a bumpstop to prevent internal strut damage. Check suspension travel and cut your stop length to about the last inch of motion. Every case is different, but that is what I did and it worked out fine.

Not quite the washers Im talking about, I already have the new perches for the threaded collars welded on to the strut housing. But in the little instruction sheet it shows that a washer goes on the top spring seat. It says it only uses them on the front, but with the 4 washers in the kit im not sure if you use two on each side or if the other two are just spares.

Hmm. I have GC camber plates and they have a flat needle bearing assy on top of the hat. That bearing has a thin washer which sits in the aluminum hat, then the bearing rides on that, then a thicker washer that sits on top of the bearing, then that thicker washer sits on the bottom of the camber plate. I don't know what the non camber plate version looks like. Hope that makes sense...