HybridZ

What's Wrong With This Picture ?

Last week at Irwindale Raceway my Z suffered a vicious Backfire just after I installed the new PROFORM Carb body and primary billet metering block. This engine has never backfired at W.O.T. and thus I was quite surprised to hear a gentle POP about midtrack.

It appears that the pressure of the backfire blew 3/4 of the welds on one side of the Airbox containing the carb. It didn't come totally apart because one of the BOV studs anchored the 3/16 th inch thick aluminum plate to the lidframe. However, the blast nudged the BOV against the inside of the hood louvers plate, punched it out and sent it spinning into the air.

The below video was slowed down at the point where the louvers left the hood so that it could be seen. It was too quick in real-time to be observed. So the pop won't be heard because there is no audio when slowing down the video speed.

The engine seems to run ok and the turbos still spin so I'm hoping the only damage was to the hood, the airbox, and my pride.:redface:

Hanns

I wonder if John Coffey can fix the airbox?

http://album.hybridz.org/data/509/damage.wmv

Bottom_View_of_Airbox.jpg

Blown_Airbox.JPG

Hanns, Man it really hurts to see the damage. Hopefully the damage is limited to the airbox and hood vent. Maybe check out that new billet metering block, it may be the culprit. May be a coincidence, but as you said no backfires with the old setup. I'm sure you will have it patched up in no time. Maybe you can install some type of small relief valve under or in the rear of the box to hopefully prevent this in the future. When you get a chance get the Z to a track you don't normally race at for a full 1/4 mile pass.

I predict at least easy 9.90's, traction permitting of course. Take care Mr. Turbomeister and good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

Jason, #1 fan

Guest FasterbyFosta
Hanns' date=' Man it really hurts to see the damage. Hopefully the damage is limited to the airbox and hood vent. Maybe check out that new billet metering block, it may be the culprit. May be a coincidence, but as you said no backfires with the old setup. I'm sure you will have it patched up in no time. Maybe you can install some type of small relief valve under or in the rear of the box to hopefully prevent this in the future. When you get a chance get the Z to a track you don't normally race at for a full 1/4 mile pass.

I predict at least easy 9.90's, traction permitting of course. Take care Mr. Turbomeister and good luck on the repairs. Keep us posted.

Jason, #1 fan[/quote']

How much boost do you normally run? Your gauge was wrapped all he way around... Is that normal

TMeister..... Damn, that's not good :cuss: .... Did you dyno it after your new mods??? My guess is you're running lean and need a jet change. Might also be a timing issue. Bet you're pushing more air thru there and need that a/f ratio checked. Let us know what you find out......

LARRY

Thanks for the comments, guys.

"FasterbyFosta" The gauge that wraps all the way around is my fuel pressure gauge. The one below and to the right is the boost gauge and it only makes 17 psi.

"COZY Z COLE" Yes, I leaned it out a little,:nono: :nono: too much. Won't I ever learn!!!

I am getting a Pop-off-valve since the Blow-Off-Valve is not activated by a WOT backfire.

Hanns

If your engine has some miles on it, I assume that most are hard miles, it is quite possible that an intake valve is not seating correctly. Certainly not out of the question.

Yes, it's possible but I actually have more easy street miles on the engine than race miles. But those race miles are stressed by 17psi of boost and they do add up. I will be doing a compression test, for sure.

Hanns

If John is too busy to fix it' date=' I'll weld it back up for you. Hope you get it all sorted out soon and back on the 1/4 mile.

Mike[/quote']

Mike, Thanks for the offer. I haven't even asked John to fix it I just threw that comment in as a joke. I'm busy with a few other things right now so I don't have time but I'll work on it soon.

Hanns

Hey TurboMeister,

I was a frequenter of this board a few years ago(member #4 or #9 I forget) but I have dropped out of site for a while.. Anyway I have been watching your videos and looking for more info on your car. Do you have a web site or any other specs you would be willing to share?... I have a 78 project that I may be selling the motor/donor car from but your videos are really pushing me to do everthing possible to keep my project alive!

Myron

Do you have a web site or any other specs you would be willing to share

Myron,

I don't have a website, yet, but I'm willing to share all info on my Z. I 've responded to numerous requests from members on the buildup in the past and if you go to the "members" list under Turbo Meister you will be able to find all my responses. However, if you only want some specific info I will gladly respond with an answer. It would really be nice to have some more Turbo V8 Z drivers here.:-D

Hanns

Hey Thanks Scotty and Drax!

I still have a perfect 78 rust free shell and I have that 98 LS1 donor car.

Its just been crazy for me lately.. Moved to Austin and I'm in a rent house. I cant "modify" the garage to suite my needs so the car is on the back burner. I also own 2 rent houses in the Houston area and they have both recently cost me alot of money so that makes working on the Z that much harder..

Turbo,

My brother has a buddy that is building a twin turbo LS1 Camaro SS and he has expressed intrest in doing the same for my Z . My brother is also big into the Neon scene so I cant let the boy have a faster car! Looks like your running a solid axle, 12 bolt or 9"? What are you putting to the ground for 5.30 time slips? I will check your profile for more info!

Myron

Looks like your running a solid axle' date=' 12 bolt or 9"? What are you putting to the ground for 5.30 time slips? I will check your profile for more info!

Myron[/quote']

Myron,

It's a Ford 9".

You must have me confused with another Z owner because my best 1/8th mile time has only been 6.22 seconds. My Z is streetable and only a full-on drag Z could muster those 1/8th mile times.:shock:

Hanns

Hey Turbo,

I was getting my hot rods mixed up!.. A buddy of mine has a 70 camaro that would run 6.5x with a 383 roller motor.. Then he built a 514 CI and is spraying it.. It runs 5.3x on the motor and 4.9x on the juice and 1.25 60'..

I did find your album with pics and I spotted out the 9"... What about internals? CR? and what turbos are you using?. Garret T3/4? After much creative financing it looks like I will be able to keep my LS1 and I look forward to getting the motor on the stand...

Myron