HybridZ

Truck bed liner on floor boards?

Guest Nikolai

Guest Nikolai

I'm in the process of stripping down my 280z and am trying to think of everything I can do to cut down on weight. I'm thinking about removing the carpet and putting down some Herculiner or Line-X or something in the floor boards. That would help with noise and rusting. Has anyone done this to their car? This is going to be more of a road racing/daily driver application and was just wondering if anyone had done it. Possibly put some floor mats down on top of it. What do you guys think?

Guest Battle Pope

I was thinking about doing that with mine. I know people that put it down in the floorpans of trucks and jeeps, so I don't imagine it would hurt anything.

From what I've seen, that's what they do for all the police cruisers. I think that has more to do with 'easy to clean' though, than weight reduction.. A buddy of mine used to work at a car cleaning place, and he said some of the cruisers that would come in were.. really awefull. Imagine trying to clean various bodily fluids, blood, coffe, ect out of carpets... :lol:

I'm not too worried about weight reduction since I'm putting in a pretty stout 383. I'm going with both, carpet over bedliner. I'm hoping that the bedliner, applied in a very thick layer, will reduce some of the noise and exhaust heat. Knowing my luck, the heat will just soften it up and make the whole interior smell like freshly applied bedliner.....

Mike

I cut what was left of my floors out in the eighties and riveted in flat f’glass panels. The seats are attached to the tunnel and outer frame rails. The only thing left that the floor supports is some carpet and a lead foot.

Edit: I say go for it.

I put a variant of Hurculiner on my floor boards, called Vitaliner, bought from JC Whitney. I only put 2 coats on as opposed to 3, called for, and I have a very hard time beleiving that it's heavier than carpeting. Plus, it's only applied in on the floor board itself and the rest is trunk paint. I'm very pleased with it. The Vitaliner is water soluble, easier to apply, and has better traction than the Herculiner.