HybridZ

Is this reasonable or worth it for me

jmark06

Well I'm doing a turbo swap and getting the body on my 77 painted all at the same time. Of corse I'm running out of money. I want a paint job that looks good and lasts a long time, but not show car. I've heard that the most expensive part is prep work and I'm wondering how much of it I can practically do. The car has a pretty big dent in the passenger fender. It has a slite ripple down each side where I think molding used to be. Its got rust under the battery, a rusted out passenger floorboard, rust along the bottom of the doors (rusted through on the body nothing on the doors themselves), and some rust along the back where the lights and bumper go. I've already got everything off. And its got a really bad paint job on it. So I'll probably need to do a lot of sanding. How realistic would it be for me to do the prep, body work. After buying materials (sander, bondo, etc) would I save much. I've never done this before, but I'm pretty artistic and can learn pretty fast. I hope y'all can advise me in this. Thanks a lot.

Go for it. If you estimate the price to get everything done by someone else, for about the same price you can buy all of the tools, welder, and grinders and such that you need needed to do the project. Go to your local wrecking yard and see if you can find a fender to reduce the body work required.

Do not use "BONDO" there are a lot of new body fillers out there that work better and will not crack.

Do a search and you will come up with all the info you need.

I build my 260 convertible with using a

Mig welder

electric DA sander

small electric grinder

electric sawsall

compressor & spray gun

2x6 with rubber pad in lieu of a long board sander.

Small propane torche for soldering all of the small trim holes.

Take your time and enjoy the project.