HybridZ

did I fry my starter?

while working on a differnet hybrid(383 in a s10) ive spent the last 3 days getting the wiring all figured out, BLAM!! it starts up and idles fine, we let it run for maybe 2 minutes then shut it off.. it was probobly the second time we started the truck ever(since the motor sat for about 6 months)

the carb is freshly rebuilt and the car isnt tuned, so we have to use starting fluid..

somthing got disconected and the fuel pump wasnt working, and we tryed starting it..

of course it wouldnt with no fuel..

we cranked and cranked(without a break)

then I saw the fuel pump wasnt on, fixed it then tried again..

it spun weak.. like the battery was dead(witch was at 12.1V) then just stoped..

the pinion comes out but the motor wont turn...

the starter was still hot 20mins later..

im thinking we fried it..

hybridZ consensus?

Charge the battery up, clean the posts whether they look clean or not and try again. The pinion comming out but the motor not turning is a classic symptom of a drained battery. Enough juice to work the solenoid but can put out the massive current needed to spin the starter. And you need to check the battery voltage under load to know if it is drained or not.

Pretty hard to burn up a starter, but it can be done.

its a gear reduction "mini" starter.. the pinion "moves" but doesnt fully engage.. it shows 12V and starts the other truck just fine..

I did attach the ground to the "motor" side of the starter to bypass the bracket ground and it shoots the pinion out.. but not with the ground itself, and the motor wont turn directly..

im thinkin its fried