HybridZ

Help with my daily driver pick up..

I have a 93 Nissan king cab, V6 5 speed. I knew something was going to happen soon, as I rolled over 280k last week. :lol: I thought maybe someone would have an idea or two... It's really not a big issue right now, but it's kind of anoying.. and with the price of gas these days, it's only going to hurt more as time goes on.

Problem; Starts fine, idles ok, but as soon as I take off or even give a slight push on the throttle, it jumps up and 'sticks' at about 1800rpm. Drives ok and all, but when I pull up to a red light or something it sits there and revs. I clicked the A/C on and off, reved it quick (blip), even shut it down momentarily but nothing changes it. If I shut it down for a minit or more, it'll start fine and will idle at it's normal 800-900.. although it seams a little more rough than it used to (not really bad, but noticable) I'm gona do the plugs/wires this weekend I think, as it needs it bad, but I'm sure it wont solve this problem.. any ideas?

Small world....I also have a 1993 V6 King Cab Nissan Hardbody Truck with a five speed! 150K miles and it still runs like new.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some carbon build up in the throttle body which is preventing the throttle blade from closing completely. Common problem with high mileage VG30 engines. The proper repair procedure is to remove the throttle body and clean it with some carbon solvent (I use lacquer thinner). However, a quick fix is to remove just the rubber boot between the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor and spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body while working the accelerator linkage.

It also a good idea to remove and clean out the Idle Control Valve that is bolted to the intake manifold. It can cause similar problems.

Heh.. good trucks eh! :) (yes, I said EH ) I'll get some tb cleaner/something, and try that tomorrow.. sounds reasonable to me. I really need to pay some more attention to this truck, it's been good to me and I think this is another subtle warning that all is not well.. but it's still at the point where it's fixable. (got the brake shakes and driveshaft vibrations goin on..) Thanks man. :)

Matt G

It was the Idle Air Control Valve on my Volvo, and my mom's Thunderbird, and the Cold Start Valve on my Honda.

Try to unplug the IACV electrical plug and see if it changes anything, under normal conditions it should still idle.

(one of the reasons why I went Carburated for my project.)

Well I worked late today, and by the time I got home I was in no mood to work on the thing... It'll have to wait till tomorrow I guess. I figure I should get used to playing with FI/electrical, as I'm getting close to having my 'other' car ready to wire up. (tbi 350 into 86 RX7.. just have to finish mounts) I'll see how it goes.. :)