HybridZ

wheel hop?

Today, after putting in my synthetic oil, I went for a test run to see if the car ran any differently. Well, I found this nice litle puddle of water that had trailed out about 10', so I did what any 18 yr old in a z would do with a puddle of water, and peeled out on it... But usually when I do this the tires just break smoothly and then gain traction again shortly. THIS time it felt like when my friends honda would wheel hop after a hard launch. I thought wheel hop was limited to front drive cars? I suspect my front diff mount is not in good condition, could this be the cause of the rumbling feeling I got from the car?

-Oliver

I thought wheel hop was limited to front drive cars?

Nope. Ask anyone who's drag or road raced a GM 4 link coil over rear or a late mdoel Camaro or Firebird.

Wheel hop is caused by the suspension allowing vertical or longitudinal movement of the drive wheels in response to acceleration torque. I would check the rear suspension bushings including all the diff mounts.

I had a similar problem in my friends 240sx. We tried alot of different things and nothing helped. Finally he got sick of it and bought a complete energy suspension bushings for his car including diff and it went away. No bushing was broken just worn. If it only does it once awhile I would not worry about it. So how does the synthetic feel any little difference?