HybridZ

Clean SHO engine in junkyard 1990 Taurus

Turbo Meister

Today, while looking for a 2 speed taurus fan I saw this SHO engine in a Taurus. The engine compartment was so clean and the DOHC engine looked quite impressive. Even though its fan was only 1 speed, I took it because the shroud and fan blades looked like new. I also got a 2speed fan for my Z.

My main reason for posting this was to alert anyone who might be interested in this engine for a Z swap. This engine is in a Fontana junkyard and on July 23 all items there are half price. I didn't discover this until after I paid $40 for my two Taurus fans. There were still several other 2 speed Taurus fans there.

I don't know if the engine runs but the odometer read 69,000 miles. Of course it could mean 169,000 but the engine was so clean.

Hanns

I think a SHO motor would make a good swap into a Z. I think a ford T5 trans would be easy to adapt. Maybe add a couple of those ford 2.3 4cyl turbos, would make at least 350 to 400 h.p. with a good tune. I wish I were closer to this junkyard, I would definitely pick up the motor, even if I didn't use it, it would be good trading material. Good idea Hanns.

The SHO engine will barely fit in a Z engine compartment. It is very tall. I went through the prelimary of installing one until the wrecking yard backed out on getting me a T-5 and gave all of my money back. I figured less that 3" of ground clearance under the pan. It will fit also it is almost as long as a V8 with the water inlet coming out of the back of the block.

I would have loved to finish the project. I do have lots of information if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
The SHO engine will barely fit in a Z engine compartment. It is very tall. I went through the prelimary of installing one until the wrecking yard backed out on getting me a T-5 and gave all of my money back. I figured less that 3" of ground clearance under the pan. It will fit also it is almost as long as a V8 with the water inlet coming out of the back of the block.

I would have loved to finish the project. I do have lots of information if anyone is interested.

I have a sho 3.0 in my garage just waiting for a swap into something. I would like any information you have especially on mating the T-5 to the 3.0.