HybridZ

What Pressure Washer to buy?

Dayz

Hi guys,

I want to buy a pressure washer to clean around the house but mainly to clean my car. I am trying to get the most paint/undercoating and... off of my body shell and some parts. I want to make my job easier!!!

What pressure would you guys recommend me? I was looking at the 2000 psi and the 2400psi from simoniz. Do I really need 2400 psi, that is my question. It cost more and take more space.

What are your opinions on this one ?

Thanks

Dayz

2400 psi is really a little on the weak side to be honest. I have a 3200 psi but I also wash/paint houses for a living so I need one thats a little larger than the average person needs. Personally, 3000 would be about the smallest I would buy. Check around for a used one. 3200 psi machines go for about $1000 or so new but I paid $450 for mine barely used out of a buddy's pawn shop. If you do buy one used just make sure it's a decent shape....stuff like mufflers and manifolds, etc are $$ and they have a tendency to rust and start leaking.

JT

If you are going to remove paint then you will need the higher pressure like JT says. If you want to clean your house and car, but still want them to have paint on them when you are done, then you don't want 3000+ PSI.

A small, electric 1600 PSI version is fine for cleaning stuff around the house. Be careful with the big ones. I have watched more neighbors ruin things with an oversized pressure washer.

Basicly it is to clean the underside of the car, the engine bay and...I want to take off the most I can before sanding a little and painting again. I didn't even know you could take paint off something with that !!!

What are you guys using your power washer for and do you think you need more PSI?

What would be a good source to find a used one?

Honda makes a good (no belts) direct drive power washer...anything between 7 to 10 HP. A good selection of tips will give you more pressure. A pinpoint tip will shred wood and different sizes of fan tips will allow you to spread out the pressure to reduce damage.. In operating a power washer, try to hold the trigger continously down down while working which prevents the pressure valve from constantly changing up and down which adds wear and tear to the engine and pump. Off and on triggering is similar to slamming on the brakes while pressing the accelerator to the metal.... Do not loan it out either....A good pressure washer is not a toy and can be dangerous.. Wear boots not sandals... and lubricate the trigger mechanisim to keep it getting stuck. A wand about beat me to death with a stuck trigger that I mistakenly laid down too quick..IT was like being in a fight with a King Cobra and it looked like it to with the wand swirling around 5 feet off the ground ready to strike while I was depressing the kill button. I used to paint houses and have a 12 HP belt drive with a Cat 4 valve pump.

The rating on a pressure washer is calculated with the zero tip (max pressure). Most models come with 4-5 tips that allow you to drop the pressure down to well below 1000 psi.

Go for a 2400-2600 with a Honda engine. This will give you a great range of operating pressures and the reliability of a Honda. I've seen them new for around $600.