HybridZ

best rear suspension setup for...

alright, since this place is loaded with people who reallyt know their stuff, i thought i would ask here. What is the best suspension setup for a solid rear axil? 4 link with coilovers? 3 link? i know nothing about suspension and i cant seem to find any good reading material.

even a link giving info on a bunch of different setups would be nice. this isnt for a 240z, its just out of curiousity.

Dont use that site as gospel. There are some rather large generalisations. It would be good to know what you are using the car for first. In chapter 14 of Carols Smiths 'Tune To Win' he talks a bit about tuning solid rears for road racing. My copy is from 1978 so there could be a little bit more info out there now. Anyway, Let us know what you want to do with it.

Cheers, Douglas

I'm personally debating between a three link and a satchell link for my road racing 240Z project myself. Not many people are running a satchell, so I've only received limited first hand remarks on that setup. The three link is more popular.

You could take a look over at www.corner-carvers.com for some good information... but beware if you post. With some exceptions, they aren't the friendliest bunch on the whole.

I'm personally debating between a three link and a satchell link for my road racing 240Z project myself. Not many people are running a satchell, so I've only received limited first hand remarks on that setup. The three link is more popular.

I have some friends that run a GT4/5 cars (nasport champions, many track records, etc.) They use live axles and have tried all the types of linkage you can find info about. They settled on a 4-link with panhard. They thought it was the simplest that responded the best to adjustment.

My personal choice would be a 4-link with a mumford linkage. About the only thing I can offer from personal experience is that a car that must corner will not put the power down with anti-squat in any great amount. It would be far better to use springs to control the body mass then geometry in this case. The gentleman on corner-carvers is in for a rude awakening when he gets his car running with 100 percent anti-squat in the back.

Cary