HybridZ

How to convert trans-axle LS1 tranny

Hi guys,

I have this 4L60E auto tranny from the Vette and it is attached to the rear differential. I want to use this tranny for my LS1 Z swap. Does anyone have any info how to convert this tranny back to the Fbody so I can start my swap? I separate the tranny from the rear differential. I think the bell housing from the fbody will bolt in fine. What I am worrying is the rear extension housing. Do I need anything esle or just the rear extension housing? I searched on Ebay and saw someone selling a weird looking piece of rear housing. Anyway I did some measurements and the length from the mounting surface of the bell housing back to the rear of the tranny (without the rear housing) is 15". From here back to the end of the shaft is 9 and 1/2". This means the rear extension housing has to be around 10". From the look of some of the pictures of this tranny from Ebay that looks about the same length. Can someone make some measurements of their LS1 auto tranny for me? Thanks..

I am also posting the pictures of the tranny on my web site. Please feel free to check it out. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/721840/4

Again thanks for any input guys.

Tim,

I was thinking of doing that too but then again I dont' know the tranny I will buy will last long or not. The tranny I have right now I took it out of a running car along with the engine. I have a friend with the vette manuals. He will let me borrow them to go home and find out. I doubt GM build different 4L60E tranny just for the Vette. I will get a friend of mine from a local junkyard to search for a cheap used 4L60E tranny from the Fbody so I can play with.

PS. I would love to put this whole trans axle rear into a Z but shorten the torque axle will be the problem. Also I don't have all the rear suspension and axles from the Vette. It would be nice to have the whole Vette rear end mounted under the Z. I am dreamming hehe

Vinh,

I agree with Tim. As I said in our PM, I have the 4L60E from the 2002 Camaro SS that came with my motor. 20,000 miles on it. The motor runs strong and the trans should too. The trans fluid was very clean upon inspection.

If you don't want the TCI converter (still have the stock one too) we can negotiate the price. I also have a brand new in the box B & M Trans Cooler kit that I would include.

Guest 73LT1Z
Tim' date='

...It would be nice to have the whole Vette rear end mounted under the Z. I am dreamming hehe[/quote']

I had that dream with my Corvair after enjoying the T56 in my Trans Am. I just don't see anyway to use the Corvair motor w/ the Vette transaxle, and this is one (of just a few cars :) ) I don't want to put a V8 into.