HybridZ

First Start ?

Don't know the details of LS1 but Gen1 =

1. Replace the oil and filter (duh)

2. Get a oil primer tool and run the oil through the engine (hook it to the oil pump through the dizzy hole) (you can use the dizzy for this but have to remove the cam gear).

3. Turn it over by hand to make sure it's not rusted stuck on the rings.

If it is, try some oil down the spark plug holes (don't know if this isn't a bad idea anyway). Put it in gear and try to rock it lose.

4. If you see any corrosion in the rad neck you might have coolant corrosion anywhere in the block, but if it is Alum heads on iron block and there is corrosion in the coolant, then it'll be wise to check the water jackets if you take the heads off. It would be smart to check this before running it for any length of time, clean them out, and flush the engine.

5. Follow a manufacturer's break in procedure for a new engine, it wouldn't hurt.

6. You also could tear it down and check everything, if you had nothing to do this weekend.

Am I forgetting anything?

Only way to prime the oil on an LS series engine is to pull the fuse to the fuel pump, pull the spark plugs and spin it over until you see pressure on the gauge.

I ran a compression check and it was all over the place so I pulled the intake on mine and found a mess of leaves and dirt in the intake ports of the heads. That was a 28,000 mile LS1 from a 99 trans am. I pulled the heads and the pistons were clean but the heads were a mess and I ended up buying a set of stage 2 heads to put on it. New compression check is at like 175 to 195 psi.