HybridZ

280zx front suspension help

Hi I am new to this forum and really to working on rwd cars in general, I have a 1980 10th anniversary edition 280zx. I just recently purchased tockico blue hp shocks, struts and springs. I was able to easily put on the rear suspension it seemed fairly similiar to the FWD cars I have worked on. When I went to take off the old front suspension I realized it was quite a bit different then what I was used too, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to remove it and what parts that I should reuse and what parts I might as well replace at the time. I did do a search and didn't find anything that useful. Thanks for your help in advance.

Guest 81na ZX

Far easier than any FWD or AWD car's I've worked on.

1) remove the bolts holding the strut to the steering arm.

2) remove the 3 top hat bolts

and thats it.

Cartridge is removed by holding entire strut assembly in a vice (hopefully you have one) and using a pipe wrench or very larege Crescent wrench on the gland nut. Don't forget to put some oil back into the tube when installing your new struts.

Ball joints are easy and you might as well do your inner and outer tie rods while at it....and bushings....LOL

Make that ZX handle!

Yasin

Guest 81na ZX

if your already doing the ball joints, the LCA bushing is easy to get to. might as well replace the TC bushings with new rubber too.

Guest 81na ZX

Summit Racing or Jegs usually have all the Energy Suspension bushings in stock. My local AutoZone or NAPA (can't remember which) had the TC bushings and ball joint the next day.

About $30 for the ball joint

About $5 for the TC bushings

About $15 for the Control Arm Bushings (a buck more through autozone)