HybridZ

400 to 386??

Hi everyone, I've been considering a 377 for a while and came across something different. It's an interesting long-rod, 3.562 stroke motor. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or constructive input. I'm looking at a kit from speedomotive (http://www.speedomotive.com) - these guys have quite an assortment of stroker kits and assembled short blocks. I know Grumpy usually says go big rather than smaller with a 400 block, but I like the power curve it makes when run through DD2000. Here is what the kit includes for just under $1,600:

4130 FORGED STEEL 3.562" CRANK

4340 FORGED STEEL H-BEAM RODS 6.125" LONG WITH 7/16" ARP CAP SCREW BOLTS

JE FORGED FLAT-TOP PISTONS: 58cc=12-1, 64cc=11-1, 70cc=10.5-1, 76cc=9.7-1

SPEED PRO CAST 1/16 RING SET

CLEVITE H-SERIES MAIN & ROD BEARINGS

Also, I've got RPM heads right now that are great for my 327 but 170cc intake runners are a bit small for this sucker. If I go AFR heads, any thoughts on IR size recommendations? I like this combo as it produces great torque, has longer rods than I thought would fit, and is unusual. Any thoughts guys?

Go for cubes with the longer stroke, unless you NEED to rev higher for some reason.

My 406 is mild, 10.3:1 compression, Canfield 215 heads, 274/279 solid roller with .574/.577 lift. No it's not running yet, but with that seat timing, I'm betting it idles smooth. DD2000 says 520/520 hp/lbft. Sure, I won't rev past 6000rpm, but I won't HAVE TO.

Let's see the 357 inch motor with a 3.5 stroke went 11.29 at 122 and change, the 406 went 10.59 at 126 and change all while bumping a 7K rpm chip in the MSD box. Hmmmmmm! Both run AFR 220 heads, both similar compression 13-14:1, both roller cams but the 357 had smaller cam. Not to say that the 357 wouldn't do better with more cam, just food for thought.

Well, you WOULD be stepping up to larger cubes then what you have now, right? :mrgreen: That's the way I would try to rationalize getting what I want...

Have you been in Don Manzo's 383 powered Z? His is a great example of a high 10 second car that has a good (internally) large motor. You have to love the fact that the original 350 is making mondo torque and hp to hurtle that car into the 10's!! 400+ cubes would be even better :twisted:

I'm of the opinion to make what you have even bigger if you can afford it (350 to 383 or 400 to 406, etc).

In the end though, build what you want.

Davy

I see alot of people build 383s and 400s and use the 180, 190, 195 AFR heads. I guess if you aren't going to turn it up past 5000 rpm, that's o.k. But as my Ford loving (FE, Cleveland, etc.) loves to say, the SBC is way under valved and bigger ports will help make more power.

Also, I'm starting to see more people put larger runner heads on to enable more top end power. I say don't go too small on the ports - as long as they flow - my Canfield 215cc heads are a great example of a good head that's a bit on the large size for the intake port volume (but not necessarily the average cross section) but flow very well.

I think the thing to look at is the flow/volume of the port to get an idea of the velocity (area would be better, granted, if you have that dimension). Just picking small ports to get velocity is cutting yourself off from larger heads that will flow more to provide the power, without giving up port velocity. For a 383, 200cc Edelbrock VTECs work well (Glen McCoy's 383 Daytona Cobra, for instance). For a 400, I say go towards 210, 215's, maybe larger if you are going to be winding much past 6000 rpm and have the cam, intake, exhaust to handle that.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm on vacation so sorry for not getting a response in sooner.

A 406 sounds like the way to go, they sell a short block through the same link above for $1900, I'll shop around but plan to roll with big cubes and some nice heads (thx for the info on that, Pete). But then with the right heads, I guess the 414 isn't much more...

Thanks everyone for the help' date=' I'm on vacation so sorry for not getting a response in sooner.

A 406 sounds like the way to go, they sell a short block through the same link above for $1900, I'll shop around but plan to roll with big cubes and some nice heads (thx for the info on that, Pete). But then with the right heads, I guess the 414 isn't much more...[/quote']

Brett,

The only issue I have with the 400 SBC is the availability of the block! I have only come across two that were good and Mike D had them but gave them away before I knew they were in the vicinity! :icon51:

Missed opportunity...

If you can get a good block, go for the 400, man.

Davy