HybridZ

fuel pump?

innerware

Guest 305240

If you are referring to the mechanical pump, get what's available. If it's the electric pump, I'd recommend the OEM. They have the thingy that won't let the fuel drain back. Plus, look how hong it lasted. Compair that to an aftermarket.

Guest bastaad525

stock pump would of course be fine, pick one up used for a song, or pay out the wazoo for a new factory part. There are very cheap aftermarket alternatives out there, including some performance ones like the MSD or the Walbro. The MSD can be picked up for around $100 or so. The only problem with some of the performance ones is they are quite a bit louder than the stock pump.

Guest 73Turbo240z

choose based on your future goals... if a higher horsepower configuration is in your overall scheme, nows the time to upgrade. if the car is mearly mean't to go from A to B reliably, a stock replacement be it new or used, as long as it works, should do just fine.

And i completely agree about the higher performance pumps, if you've never heard one, then think if you've ever heard a mid-90's suburban or chevy pickup, it's about on par w/ how loud there fuel pumps are.

Guest 71ZZZZZ

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductsListByMinID.aspx?BrandID=6&minID=2255&majID=225&selection=0&minselection=0

What carb is in that 280Z?...it may have been a little overkill but I put in a 110 in my '71, had to install a regulator and block-off plate as well but it's been bulletproof for many years and is VERY quiet...there's a slight motor sound as the pump spins up on ignition but is soon lost under engine/exhaust notes...not the cheapest solution out there but the reliability has paid for itself over the time...

:cool:

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductsListByMinID.aspx?BrandID=6&minID=2255&majID=225&selection=0&minselection=0

What carb is in that 280Z?...it may have been a little overkill but I put in a 110 in my '71' date=' had to install a regulator and block-off plate as well but it's been bulletproof for many years and is VERY quiet...there's a slight motor sound as the pump spins up on ignition but is soon lost under engine/exhaust notes...not the cheapest solution out there but the reliability has paid for itself over the time...

:cool:[/quote']

I don't think the 280Z has carbs! EFI if I remember correctly. EFI systems require a higher fuel pressure than carbs. Regarging the Mallory fuel pump you have....I'm running the same style gear pump, mainly because it is so much quieter than the diaphram type. Works just fine too!

Guest 71ZZZZZ
I don't think the 280Z has carbs! EFI if I remember correctly. EFI systems require a higher fuel pressure than carbs. Regarging the Mallory fuel pump you have....I'm running the same style gear pump, mainly because it is so much quieter than the diaphram type. Works just fine too!

:-D (... I'm really ignorant of later year Z specifics)...I saw that Mallory does make a higher rated version for FI also...good to know you've had reliable service...(I'm also running their Unilite dist., very recommended over the stock points...they make good partz!)

• 1 year later...

I've had my 280 Z for the last 25 years [give or take a few months] with about 350,000 miles logged on the original fuel pump. Fuel pressure is about 29 psi and it's time for a new one. I think I'll go with a Bosch fuel pump [$210 or so at NAPA] and have a direct connect with everything. Later maybe I can add a Rising Rate Regulator from CarTech Racing. Am I Going down the right or wrong road on this one?

Guest bastaad525

why spend so much?

what are you trying to achieve exactly?

Again, if you're just planning on staying stock or maybe some minor upgrades, just get a stock replacement. If you MUST have an upgraded pump, there are cheaper alternatives than teh $200+ Bosch one.

Not familiar with the CarTech Racing FPR but be advised there is definately a lot of range in price on FPR's as well, costing well below $100 all the way to above $200 that I've seen for parts which in generall all do about the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

When I put the LT1 (Hot cam and ported heads) into my '75 280Z, I installed a new MSD 2225 inline pump in the stock pump location right outside the tank with a 300 PSI rated inline fuel filter after the pump. I noted the pump was rated on Summit's website at 43 GPH and 85 max PSI. I've since encountered some no/hard starting issues and installed a mechanical gauge on the fuel line in the engine bay. This pump struggles to make 40 gauge PSI and it falls off while cranking (pump supply voltage is constant). The pressure regulator is the stock item and there are no fuel leaks. The car has been sidelined with an oil pan leak for a while and since I am working on my next V8 swap (Supra).

I got this month's Chevy High Performance today and in the "Performance Q&A" section, a guy with an LT1 swap into a S10 truck listed the same symptoms I had (although his SES/check engine light was on, my is not).

The response was that the LT1 needs 42 PSI to run. Other writeups on the MSD 2225 show it is rated at 43 GPH at 40 PSI!

I suspect this is my problem & after the oil leak is fixed I will try another pump.

How good is the stock Datsun pump? I looked at Rock Auto's listings for the 280 NA and ZX turbo and both list the same Airtex E8312 fuel pump (around $126). How good is this pump or am I better off with a Walbro inline for about the same amount of money? I suspect I know the answer to this one, but welcome any input.

I have a Walbro intank model with an MSD boost-referenced pump voltage booster in my LT4/Turbo Trans Am and it has worked great. I'm upgrading the intank pump on the Supra with a Walbro high pressure as well.

The Nissan service manual for a 1977 280Z states that the fuel pressure should be at 36.3 psi. This fuel pressure is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator. Furthermore, the manual states that if the pressure in the fuel line rises over 43-64 psi due to trouble in the pressure system, a relief valve in the pump will open. My guess is that pump probably puts out about 40 psi.

BEGi (Bell Engineering) makes a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (which I understand they originally designed) that connects to the return fuel line and will bump up the fuel pressure as needed during high demand accelaration and then return to stock pressure during normal driving. I've not bought one as of yet - so I havn't put my money where my mouth is [an occasional shoe lace ... yes a few times]. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.