HybridZ

VG30DE/TT tranny on RB25?

DETurbine

I currently have a RB25 in my S13, recently the transmissions 3/4th syncro has started to grind almost every shift and will either have to be replaced or I will have to get a whole complete tranny. The syncro itself for the RB25 is going to be $180, but I also have found a 300zx NA tranny for $170 and have heard stories before saying that it will work, just have to take the RB25 bell housing and convert it.

The only problem I can see if it will work is that the shifter location on the RB25 in my 240sx right now sits far back (pretty much boarder line with the shifter whole) and the RB25 has a top mount shifter while the 300zx shifter is in the back of the tranny.

Help would be greaty thankful.

The housings are interchangable between the R33 and the Z32 trans. The Z32 shifter sits back on a pedastal. $170 for a Z32 tranny and it probably has the same problems as the 33. Get it rebuilt replacing all three syncros and all of the blocking rings. You may be able to get away with changing just the outer sleve of the syncro and not the entire assy.

The housings are interchangable between the R33 and the Z32 trans. The Z32 shifter sits back on a pedastal. $170 for a Z32 tranny and it probably has the same problems as the 33. Get it rebuilt replacing all three syncros and all of the blocking rings. You may be able to get away with changing just the outer sleve of the syncro and not the entire assy.

So Matt, does this mean that a person can get a Z32TT 5 speed, remove the forward bell housing and bolt it onto the R33 GTR AWD tranny body...and then bolt it up to the RB26??

If anyone knows anything about using the AWD tranny minus the xfer case your input would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest innocentbystander

You might be able to mate the z32 box up with an adapter plate, but removing bell housing will be a problem, as the bell and gearcase are the same casting I've had 2 Z32s, and both gearboxes had a 1 piece casting.weak first gear is a feature of these boxes, also a little grunt going into 4th, in Australia, not a cheap box to do work on.

You might be able to mate the z32 box up with an adapter plate, but removing bell housing will be a problem, as the bell and gearcase are the same casting I've had 2 Z32s, and both gearboxes had a 1 piece casting.weak first gear is a feature of these boxes, also a little grunt going into 4th, in Australia, not a cheap box to do work on.

I don't know how they made them to be sold in Australia, but the Z32tt trans here have a front bell housing that can be removed from the rear section.

Its been done here.... take a Z32tt trans, remove the front bell, replace it with a RB25 or 26 front bell section.

The shifter type, and location after swap is the final hurdle to clear if you want to use it on your RB in a Z car...

Guest innocentbystander

My two were both NAs, JDM imports, 1989, and 93, this spec definately 1 piece casting, they also ran a smaller, more user friendly( to swappers)R200 LSD 4.08 diff.