HybridZ

Ice

CruxGNZ

This sounds like a good idea, that is only if the people that find you are smart enough to look for it.

The London incident has promoted concerns and I share with you what one of my European colleagues just sent. As long as everyone knows what ICE stands for, it is not a bad idea. A useful thing to add to your mobile address book!

It was thought up by an ambulance man/paramedic who found that when they went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones but they didn't know which numbers to call and he thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name to file "next of kin" under.

Following the disaster in London . . .East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone Address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along.

Richard H. McSwain PhD PE

!M!

I ran into a problem with this recently. The hospital wanted know who my next of kin was in case of an emergency.

Think this out as it is a legal issue if you are unable to speak for your self.

I live with four people I love and trust dearly. No marriage or blood relatives. No good.

Mom …too old.

Sister…incapable.

Kids… too young.

X wife? Ya right.

I ended up using my 19 year old daughter (legal age here). But I’m afraid the stress might be too much for her if anything did happen.

If you have a normal life it sounds like a great idea.

If you have a normal life it sounds like a great idea.

Trouble is SOMEONE has to make the decision. Why leave it up to the poor doctors who don't know you?

You can designate anyone in a living will (or whatever they are called). If something happens to my wife, my father in law is next in line to "pull the plug" if need be.

But I don't think that is what this is addressing. This is just to help the EMT guys get the process of notifing the support network started. Sounds like any of your 4 friends would work in this capacity. If hard decisions need to be made, then the hospital is going to need more legal documents than just a cell phone number anyway.