HybridZ

Anyone taken a look at a 350z (Z33) differential?

Stevej

Can't find too many pictures of it on the web but I found a picture of the diff cover and it looks like it matches the bolt pattern of the short nose R200.

I've attached a pic.

I'm swapping the R200 vlsd into my 240 ls1 but would like to possibly go to a clutch style lsd.

There are quite a few types available for the 350 and if that happens to be to be the same.

Of course then there is the cv ends to contend with, I saw the 350z's one is 6 bolt but it might not be the same bolt pattern as the Q45 R200.

Just wondering if anyone's actually had a good look at one.

Thanks,

Steve

63_1_b_thumb.JPG

The 350Z R200 has 6-bolt flanges identical to the Q45/Z32TT diffs.

This diff looks like it will bolt up like a Q45 short nose R200 (same front-mount ears) but the rear cover only has one horizontal stud.

I have a 3.36 from a 350Z auto sitting in my shop.

Perfect thanks.

Basically there has been a bunch of posts talking about the longevity of the VLSD diffs in autocrossing and roadracing.

I'm putting in the Q45 R200 because the 3.54 gearing works for my LS1 T56 combo and I used to break ujoints all the time with my stroker motor so I wanted to get rid of them with the LS1 swap.

If the VLSD starts to slip it looks like I can get the CLSD made for the 350z and it will work in the carrier, with the ring gear and the stub axles.

CLSDs for those cars are pretty plentiful in the aftermarket.

Thanks for the info.

• 3 years later...

OKay, I know this is reviving a dead thread, but I used the search function to find it so don't post any mummy pictures...

Looking at the Z33 VLSD, What all do you think we'd have to do to put one in a 78' 280Z? Is it possible the carrier would fit, if not the whole diff? The output flanges look different so I guess some alternate axles would be needed?

What do you think?

Phar