HybridZ

Moving to the darkside of hybridZ...

hat1324

Well, My Z is in the build process, and im not to far from a rolling chassis. Witch means I can really put any motor into it that I want..

and after doing the math I see that Ill be spending 7k+ in my motor/trans combo for what Im building..

and I can see the RB motors holding more power then my stock ford block..

I helped with a RB25DET into a 240(before the Mick. Mounts) and almost did a swap for a Z32 before I changed my mind and moved.. so im not a total RB newb.

here are my newb questions,

Where are you Z guys getting your RB clips from? Ive seen a few links from 240 sites, anyone actually used Venus? the malaysan wars seam over and ive only seen a few links to other companys... and Z guys get better deals anyway

Ive done the reading on the transmissions, The easy way out is to switch to the RB25 tranny.. But I also read removing the transfer case and welding the hole shut(any more info on this method?) Witch Id like to do to keep the 6speed..

I know what the RB motors can do, so with injectors and the 1.15AR turbo I have sitting in my living room i have some expectations..

Out of curiousity what are you aussie guys paying for a RB30 Short block?

Guest JAMIE T

You know, you could make a few dollars by setting up a importing deal for us Zcar guys. Not an out and out business, but just doing your yank buddies a favor ;D

I did get a particually good deal on my two! But they do come up all the time at 2 - 3 times that amount on our local trading site (like ebay)

I could get the weight of a short block and check on cost of freight to the US, if you guys are serious?

I would give you a price all up including freight, you could then palpay that to me and once recieved i would arrange shipment.

How does this sound?

I found an RB30 block on ebay last September. Here are the totals for shipping from Australia.

Series II non-turbo short block.

(block, crank, rods, pistons, rear seal, and beat up oil pump) $305.00AU

Shipping and handling from Australia $304.00AU

Total $609.00AU or $439.20 US Dollars

The block was picked up from the sellers door and loaded into a container consigned by Brennan International

Brennan International Shipping Company charges into Port of San Diego

Documentation $50.00

Terminal Handling Charge $45.00

Chassis Fee (No idea what that was) $2.00

Port Security Fee $25.00

Customs Exam $19.55

Total to Brennan $141.55

St. George Warehouse of Oakland

Forklift $35.00

Customs Entry Fee $50.00

Documentation Fees $5.00

Handling In/Out-General $35.00

Total to St. George $125.00

Now on top of all the above, I drove from Sacramento to Oaklnd to pick it up. That was a 200 mile round trip. So figure about $25.00 for gas. The St. George customs entry fee was for filling out a single piece of paper that needed U.S. Customs clearance signatures. I had to drive a few miles to the customs office to get it signed. No big deal.

As you can see, it ended up costing me around $730.75.

All the above should give a good idea of what is involved. Shipping heavy items can be troublesome. RB30 motors may be cheap and plentiful in Australia but remember someone has to go through a lot of time and effort to ship it. The same holds true when shipping from Japan. I can see additional charges for a translation service already.

Hope this helps answer some questions about shipping.

Im an aussie and rb30 non-turbo engines are very plentiful here. There would be easily 6 or 7 complete motors at each of the 3 wreckers close to me. $300au is on the high side for a short motor here. Would pay this at most for a complete motor. The turbo rb30 however isn't so common and imo are well overpriced from what ive seen. they are getting pretty old now and most would need rebuilding anyway so a non turbo is the way to go. just giving some local knowledge on the subject so some aussie wrecker doesnt BS you.

$300au is a high price for someone in Australia, there is no doubt about that. The troubles the guy went through to get it shipped to me make up for the price in my opinion. It all comes down to what someone considers their time worth.

There are several Pick-N-Pulls in my area with abundant supplies of L24e, L28e and L28et's. Any complete engine goes for $149.00. Some times they have half off sales to. From what I hear, these motors are difficult to find in Australia.

The communication through the internet has made the world seem smaller. To bad world shipping and commerce has not quite caught up.

I was just letting you know their worth here so you dont getted some BS about them being hard to find here too and them giving you a higher price. I wasnt saying you payed too much just letting hat1324 know not to pay anymore than $300au. Every $ saved is helpul especially considering the cost of the freight on top.

And while everyone is on the RB30DE topic... a friend of mine has just finished building an RB30DET motor for another friend (for his R33 GTR, $15K Au in parts for the engine!) and has hit a minor issue - NONE of the available cam belts for this conversion are heat rated for the application (he has an engineering background and asked the right questions), and therefore the belts should be changed every 10,000km (the guaranteed limit for high temp applications). Gates is in the process of speccing a silicone backed belt for this specific application, with the assistance of said friend. The dummy belt is supposed to turn up this week so pictures can be taken to show how much clearance is left with the belt fitted and tensioners in place.

rb26zed,

I agree and appreciate you mentioning wrecking yards BSing about rarety and prices. Wrecking yards are in business to make money. Not to say there are all bad people. A friend of mine once owned a small wrecking yard and he had a saying;

"The ultimate value of any car is how much does it weigh!"

$305au was my max bid on the block. I was not going to bid any higher. Actually I feel better knowing you would not have gone higher!