HybridZ

clutch AND torq converter working together?

TheNeedForZ

Is there such a drivetrain system that uses both a clutch plate AND a small torque converter?

I am thinking...if a small tq converter and clutch work together, the clutch will not wear out as fast, the car will not stall when clutch/gas are not used properly, which is safer. The performance might suffer a bit.

Comments?

I've heard of several of these things being put together, haven't ever seen one in person, and haven't heard it discussed since the early 90's. Apparently gives the full lockup of the clutch with the shifting of the automatic. Was mainly a drag racing thing IIRC.

in dragracing it was the thing before stall converters. Fairbanks was the last to make the setup for an automatic with a clutch setup.

there`s another version of it in dirt track racing, where there is a solid coupling in place of the converter and the clutch pedal works a "dump Valve" in the trans valve body. Basicly when you depress the clutch pedal the valve opens and "dumps " the line pressure. relese the pedal and pressure returns.

when I looked into it a few yrs ago, I was told it wouldn`t work well for dragracing because the trans needs the tourqe multiplacation of the converter for lunching off the line.

Mark

I'm not sure, but I think the "200r" automatic that came in the 80's era camaros and firebirds (before the 700r4) had some sort of locking torque converter that had similar efficiency to a clutch when cruising. I don't know if its similar to your idea, but.......well, hope it helps :)