HybridZ

Pinion Angle R200 Swap

johnc

I searched and didn't find an answer to a problem that may not exist.

I've swapped an R200 into a customer's car and have the R200 moustache bar and the R200 front insulator (diff mount) but I'm not happy with the pinion angle on the installation. The front of the diff will be pointed up about 5 degrees when its finally bolted down. That seems way off to me but I've never actually done this swap before.

A question: Is the front diff crossmember different on the 280Zs that run an R200?

One option I have is to raise the moustache bare .125" by removing the upper washer on the urethane bushing kit, which will drop th epinion angle a bit.

Am I worried about something that isn't a problem for you V8 guys?

This probably isn't much help as it's all theory, but if you remember my billet subframe thread, when I got around to calculating where to position my new moustache bar working with OEM measurements, they indicated that the front of the R200 would indeed be raised at quite an angle in order to clear the cross member with the OEM isolator.

I'd say ditch those big washers and save the prop shaft UJs!

Cheers,

Rob

Mine is a '77 260Z, which I guess in the US would have the same body etc as a 280Z, originally fitted with a R180.

Just bolted the R200 conversion bits straight up, never had a problem with 220rwhp, the completely original tailshaft is still in use today. Except that with the stock front mount the diff wanted to jump around a bit when giving it a bit of stick :)