HybridZ

rough idle and rich after setting timing

THe car has been running great..so I decide to get fancy... So I have a wideband installed... and while he is there, check the timing and have a look at the air fuel ratios with the new gauge.

I know I know..that was problem #1.

Ok the timing was apparently set to 45 degrees. btdc (set by me last year by ear.) The car has been running strong all year.

He resets it to 20 degrees btdc and adjusts the idle and fuel to get it to idle.

Problem...

After warm up, car idles at about 11.5:1.. cruising on the highway gets about the same. Accelerate to higher than normal highway, guage pegs out lower than 11:1. (it reads blank when higher than 16 or lower than 11)

I get on the boost a bit on the highway, and very suddenly the air fuels will jump into the low teens!!! yikes!!! 5psi is no prob.. higher..I won't even try again..

The car has a more lopey idle, and I reak of gas while driving..I can still taste it as I write this.. yech!!

It is even idleing at 1100rpm and it is wandering a bit.. air fuels range from 11.2-11.8 as it lopes.

Awww.. whats up? Super rich while cruising or idleing.. goes lean when into boost?

I think the timing is retarded ... regardless of what his timing light says...

I thought of just adjusting the FPR, but that doesn't explain about the lean mixture at boost.

any ideas?? help before I blow up this engine?????

Well i'm on my way out the door to adjust the ign timing..

I'm wondering if the dizzy is one tooth off or the timing belt, or the cap (cap is not really possible) or something mechanical. this would give the symptom of a nice smooth idle yet a timing light reading of 45 degrees..

Well.. I"m going to see what happens.. at least as long as the rain holds off.

yeesh!

ok so far so good.

I moved the timing by ear, and now the air fuel is sitting at 12.5:1 a bit better. I can lean it out by adjusting the fpr, but am unsure about leaning it out even more once i drive it. the car drives better now, and no more fumes. i don't have a timing light on it yet. i saw the air fuel hit in the low 14's when i drove it at 14psi for a split second before i backed off.

more to come on this i guess.. i need to sort out the timing better before i can figure what to do about going lean.. i don't think it is going that lean due to lack of fuel inj capacity or fuel pump.

I've got some dyno time coming up this week. I'd like to sort this out once and for all.. I should have plenty of fuel and injectors to give it..

I've adjusted the timing a bit more today. Time for a road test later and see what kind of numbers I'll get.. I just can't wait for the dyno day. I think I can balance the timing/idle/fuel pressure a bit better.

I'll just have to be careful.

Well another update..

I talked to one of my long time Z buddies, and he thinks the pully or something is 180 degrees out.. we are going to use his dial guage and mechanically verify the timing. TDC and mark the pully, and disregard any of the marks on the pully. We are also confident the timing is within 5 degrees of where it is supposed to be. Though that is not good enough when pushing serious hp, so this relegates my car to cruiser status until I finish this mess.

Other than that, the car runs beautiful, handles great, stops great, feels great, sounds great, and turns heads..what else is there?

oh yea.. black cars, look better in the shade!.. cool man coooool..

Damper-Dampner, whatever is probably shifted the rubber could ahve ripped or slipped, either way it's hard to check, but #1 symptom is wierd timing pointer position. Same thing on my F150, every time I turned on the car and reved it a bit the timing pointer was in a different place, then it stuck at about 45 degrees off. I had to time it by ear, and surprisingly when I had to smog it, it ws right on. Go figure.

Simply marking the pulley might not solve it 100%, it could move again. If your belt was off a tooth, it would be only about 3-5 degrees, and if the belt was off 20+ degrees, it would not run.

Try that, and hope I helped.