HybridZ

Should I buy this hybrid????

utvolman99

Okay, on my way to work this morning there I noticed a black Z sitting for sale on the side of the road. It caught my eye because it has a fiberglass cowl hood with a hole cut for the air cleaner. I stopped to look at the car and noticed several things I didnt like about the car.

1. Its not a JTR set up. The engine is so High that you couldnt fit an air cleaner under the hood and thats with a dual plane intake!

2. The car has a somewhat new but somewhat rough looking paint job

3. There is no exhaust it just ends at the 3" headers

4. There is no roll cage/frame support

5. The inside of the car is rough. Seats are bad under the seat covers. It has an okay dash cap. Guages bolted up in strange locations...

6. There are no bumpers on the car

7. The fiberglass hood didnt line up very well down at the nose of the car.

8. The car was in need of new tires.

9. There was a general air that the car was owned by someone name Billybob!

The asking price was $2200 obo. After getting to work someone told me that the guy really needed money and might take a much smaller cash offer. The way the guy was talking I almost think that 10 one hundred dollar bills might be too much for this guy to pass on. If I thought I could get my money back and make a few bucks I might be willing to take it off his hands and have a toy for a couple of months. What do you guys think?

Plan out what you CAN do with the car and what makes sense. Keeping it rough on the outside is not a bad idea, but just remember that to get it to showroom quality (if that is what you are after) is going to take some major coin. $500 is what I would give him---you can always say, "I'm not really in need of this car, but if you don't have a buyer and really need to sell, I'll take it off your hands for $500 or close to there." And then just hand him your name & number. If he wants to dicker, then run through ALL of the things wrong with the car and leave it at that.

Davy

The "new but rough" paint job is a bad sign. Could be covering up a ton of bondo and rust. This is IMO the most important thing. If the car has a workable body (pay special attention to the floor pans and rocker panels) and suspension then it is worth $500 for that alone.

There are a million other things to consider. For instance you never mentioned anything about the engine or type of tranny and whether the pig even runs.

No matter how you look at it, a lot of work and time before it is drivable.

Okay, Im not sure if you guys understand... I already have a project car. It has a good rust body with new floorpans and little other rust. Im turning it into my V8 daily driver. I was just wanting to maybe pick this thing up, slap on some mufflers and have some fun with it till my car is ready. I think its perfectly driveable right now if it had new tires. I was thinking about puting the wheels and tires Im buying for my Z on this one for and then switching before I sell it. Trying to make this car into a good driver would be WAY more trouble than finishing my own car. Im just looking for a toy!

It sounds almost as valuable as a car with no engine at all, meaning I'd start from scratch anyway if it really is setup that "poorly" and that beat up.

Maybe the headers are still good ;) but then again, with no exaust after them they are probably rusting out and not very happy.