HybridZ

What to do with bump where bumper used to be?

jbc3

What to do with the empty bump where the bumper used to go???

I have looked at alot of pictures, but I have not decided.

It's a 78 and I don't plan on running bumpers. I may get a fiberglass bumper and maybe use it just around the corners, like the second gen Camaro.

Any decent options/ideas?

While I'm asking... any full grill options/ideas also?

Jody

2.jpg

1.jpg

Guest Nikolai

I'm in the same boat. I hope someone has something to post up, shaved bumpers look sooo nice.

Also, do you have a link or info on that Camaro hubs/rear brakes?

849_p45567.jpg

just add one of those :D..

i would do the thin bumper up front and then cut it like the spilt bumpers on the camaro's.. thats if u wanted no bumper look..

mike

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96797&highlight=camaro+brakes

That is a link to an old post about the front brakes/wheels. The rears are using Ross C's billet stub axles (w/ Chevy bolt pattern), billet adaptors, R230 and R230 CV conversion with Moser axles. I needed adaptors for the rear wheels also, so I bought them from Andris Skulte, the same link that is in the earlier post. The rear brakes are '95 Camaro brake rotors and calipers. The brake caliper bracket is the stock '95 Camaro bracket, machined with a larger hole in the center so it would slip over the axle tube of the 280Z and surface ground so the offset was correct. Then I had to drill new holes and weld up the old bolt holes. I am also using the stock 95 camaro parking brake cables and I bent/adapted the stock 280Z emergency brake cable connection to accept the Camaro cable. The adjustment is not great yet, but it works. The biggest trouble was getting the brake caliper bracket right. It was ALOT of work.

Jody

Guest Nikolai

Wow, yeah I think I'll just stick with what I have! I'm considering putting another set of 7" lights on each side of the mouth and cutt a 240 bumper around them. Kinda give it a rally retro look.

You could always do what I did:

kindafrontview3hi.jpg

I cut up the stock 240 bumper, removed all the heavy brackets associated with the original frame rail mounting, and fabricated new brackets so that it bolts up to the headlight bucket. It's RS split bumper'ish...

I was hesitant at first to do it, but once I had it in place I really liked it... so it stayed. I played around a bit trying to figure out how to terminate the bumperettes (as I like to call them). I tried turning them into the grill area and I tried rounding them out... but I ended up liking the abrupt termination the best.

It's definately a 'love it' or 'hate it' kinda thing.

It kind of looks like a bug.

Little mandibles... ready to rip Honda's into chewable bits! Lol!

I'll be making my own grill out of 1/2" hexagonal perforated metal sheet ( http://www.ametco.com/perforated/nonround.html ). It's going to follow the shape of the hood and the headlight bucket, but be recessed 1/2". I'll have it powdercoated black. This project is about a month off, but I'll post pics when it's completed.

Out of curiosity for pricing... I called Ametco and a sheet of 1/4" hex, in 16 gauge (4' x 10') runs about $145.00 plus shipping. You have to buy it in a minimum of 1 sheet. That is with them sheering it into quarters. Then they can UPS the 4 sheets. Find 4 guys who'd want the same pattern and it's a great deal.

Jody

My initial plan was to purchase a sheet, make 3-4 grills and then sell them. I've removed the original grill mounting point that was attached to the front connecting frame rail (the rail that runs in front of the core support and connects the main frame rails)... so anything I make will be without provisions to mount to that location.

I don't know what your timing is... but you can have a section of the sheet I purchase if you want to make your own. I'm going to use the 1/2" hex, though... the 1/4" is just a tad too small for my tastes.