HybridZ

Firewall/battery tray repair

BWRex

Hey fellas,new to Hybrids here!Got to mention off the bat,this site is not only inspirational,it's almost a necessity!good job!Anyway,i searched for battery tray rust and fabrication,and didn't come up with many pics,so I thought I'd share a couple of my fix.2101023_1.jpg

2101023_2.jpgcut fender well,can see 'Pete Paraska'style subframe connectors clamped up

2101023_3.jpg2101023_4.jpg

inside shots

2101023_5.jpg2101023_6.jpg

firewall

2101023_7.jpg I'll post more pics as I progress

any input,opinions, would be greatly appreciated.As you can see I'm a novice,and at the early stages of the resto,planning the stages for the v8 swap,(TPI 350 out of a 89 GTA got it!:rockon:Got the JTR manual,but I thought I'd start with the rust and the frame strenghtening aspects first.Got to hurry,scheduled to go for cage work'Mat73GNZ'style in November!I think that will do it in regaurds to the major strenghtening part.Any tips?Also,I've posted this question before,does anyone have any pics of a fuel cell with the filler neck going to the stock location or possibly behind the emblem?

I can't wait to tackle that on my rust bucket. But alas, I must I can only do so many repairs at a time and still maintain some of the cars integrity. Looks good gives me an idea of what I might need to do. I have already done the "frame", subframe connectors, new floors, and rocker panels. Still working on rear quarters and rear deck. Keep us up on progress.

Matt

Wow all that looks all to familar! Have fun hehe.

heres what i did. I basically just started working with some scrap metal I had laying around from the floor boards

DSCN4908.sized.jpg

DSCN4910.sized.jpg

here you can see a little bit of how it turned out i need ot take a better picture

DSCN5723.sized.jpg

I've gone through the information here and even posted an inquiry as to where to find my metal replacement battery tray that was not salvagable.

All I got back was "put your battery in the back; it will take weight off of the front and you can get light weight batteries that weigh only a few pounds that will fit in the storage compartments behind the seats!"

I researched and found sources for very lightweight batteries (I think around 7lbs.)

So, that being said, why go to the trouble of mounting your battery in the back if it weighs only a few pounds and will hardly effect weight distribution?

....Anybody know where to get a metal replacement tray for the battery? I could fab one but would really rather have an OEM looking tray.

Thanks!

Yep, looking good! The only rust I had on my car was under the battery tray. A friend of mine builds a small frame out of 1" square tubing and sinks that area. This is a shot of my battery box before final prep, where an Optima will sit down in there with a custom battery box cover to hide it all. Just another option.

http://album.hybridz.org/data/549/8934BatteryBox-before-prep1.jpg

Thanks for the input fellas!quite a few ideas that will definately influence my plans(since I'm about 1/2 way through the repair)I removed a section of the original frame rails and (I know you guys aren't going to believe this!)I found some surface rust inside.The question is,I've searched for products like POR15,Pickle,and the like,I'd like some opinions on personal preferences,and maybe something like what products work with different applicators,(brush,bug sprayer type((to possibly get a good coat down those framerails)),etc.Thanks!