HybridZ

Am I screwed?

Workinprogress

Some of you may remember my $300 280z. Well, it had a blown head gasket when I purchased it and it sat in my garage forever. I pulled the head last night. Here's the damage I see. Scored cam lobes, carbonized oil all over the head, possible head gasket damage between #3 and #4 cylinders, 2 broken (previous to me) exhaust manifold studs. Should I skip working on this head and find a replacement? Or would it suffice to check the deck surface for being flat and having the cam replaced? I uploaded all the pics to my album.

Thanks,

Grant

Rusted or scored cam lobes? If the lobes are rusted they can br cleaned up with 3M Rolock Scotch Brite disks mounted on a mandrel hooked an air tool. Thr head and block deck will clean up with these miracle disks. Flip the head over and use a the striaght edge of a carpentor's square or a contractor's level. Eyeball the flat surface of the head and the straight edge of the tool looking for any gap in every direction btween the surface of the cylinder head and the straight edge. You can even measure the "possible" gap with a feeler gauge. A lot of heads and cams can be saved even if they look like crap. Remove the valve lifters and level the head valves up and fill the cavities around the valves with kerosene or diesel... Check in the morning for leakage around the valves. You can even do a valve job with a small suction cup, mandrel and a reversible drill and some lapping compound after removing the valve springs and split locks