HybridZ

Aftermarket gauges in stock locations

HarrisonTX

Guest scarab73

well no one makes a kit that I know of, but it is pretty easy to do. The 5" tach and speedo fit very nice and snug it the stock locations, you just have to rig a mount out of an L bracket or something; as for the little guys, 2 5/8" gauges fit the best in the holes but are not quite snug, I just wrapped mine with some universal weather stripping and it worked great. for the mounting I just gutted the stock gauges and mounted the auto meters in the stock gauge cups, you just have to cut the back out of the cups to accomidate the mechanical gauges. no sweat.

The speedo and tach are close fits - they just required about five turns of electrical tape around the bezels and they squeezed into place. Yeah, it's kind of a chickensh*t way to do it, but it's held up for several years now. Heck, IIRC, the gauge cluster in my Mercedes was a friction fit, too. No screws required. If Mercedes does it that way...

I used the stock housing for my autometer gauges. You can remove the housing with one screw. Take it out remove the old gauge and you can put the autometer gauges right in. I doesn't take 10 minutes to remove a housing. Take the cover off below the gauges and you can access all three. Remove the clock since it is electrical and get an autometer gauge. Pretty easy.