HybridZ

Broke the mounting insulator for the top strut mount

Well, was installing the coilovers, and when I got to the last one I managed to rip apart the mounting insulator when I was torqueing the locking nut... Obviously used to much force, although I didn't hear the torque-wrench click.

Do you think I can just glue the rubber back to the insulator? The top metal part just twisted around, of the rubber.

Hehe. Forgot about that. Now, how about the glueing of the broken insulator? Do you think it'll work? I mean, when the car is on the ground, there is always pressure upwards. It's only when the car is jacked up that there would be put much stress on the glued joint right? Since it is in the rear there is no turning of the strut/springs etc either.

I mean, when the car is on the ground, there is always pressure upwards. It's only when the car is jacked up that there would be put much stress on the glued joint right?

That is the only thing that keeps the top of the strut anchored when you corner or brake. My guess is the side to side loading is significantly higher than the hanging weight of the strut. Throw in the strut recoiling downward after hitting a pothole and the forces are greater yet.

If your "glue" lets loose in a high speed turn one whole corner of your suspension will detach from the rest of your car. Ain't never been there but it doesn't sound like the ideal situation to me.

Just order a new one from MSA or VB.

I don't know about gluing it back together. The rubber is vulcanized to the metal. You would probably be better buying a new (used) one.

I mean, when the car is on the ground, there is always pressure upwards.

When at rest, yes.

It's only when the car is jacked up that there would be put much stress on the glued joint right?

No. Also when driving the car. The strut rod is held in place by the isolator when the suspension moves up and down, pushing up and pulling down on the isolator.

!M!