HybridZ

Gas Milage

oinojo

Guest bastaad525

hey dude, well I already replied to your PM, but I'll reply here too, for future searchers looking for fuel mileage answers :D

pretty much bone stock L28ET setup, running 12-14psi of boost depending on my mood, flooring the throttle at every opportunity, I get about 17mpg's.

Driven 'normally' (only done once as an experminent thru one full tank to see how much difference it made), I got about 20mpg's.

This is with approximately 1/3 street and 2/3 freeway driving.

I'm at the low end of the spectrum though... my car runs pretty rich overall, even at idle and cruise, which hurts my mileage quite a bit. If everything were running 'right', I'd expect no less than mid 20's.

In the ZX I have which is an 82, when it was still with stock injectors and turbo, running at 15 psi intercooled, usually netted about 18 in the city, and anytime during travel at approxiamately 75 on the highway I would get around 26-28mpg.

I would think with a lighter car you should do quite well.

93 Octane just dropped to $3.10/gallon here in the DFW area from a high of $3.30.I'm amazed at you guys that get in the high 20's on the highway. Even at it's best my 77 280Z with an '83 NA drivetrain never did better than 25 which is about the same at my LS1. Then again, it had the stock Nissan ECU and maybe the aftermarket ones can be programmed to be more efficient?

My bone stock 1982 280ZX turbo got exactly 20mpg with just city driving. It got a hair better on the highway but I did not bother to do a lot of high speed cruising with it.

I expect to get about the same when I transplant that engine into my 240Z. Logically, you can get better mileage if you retain all the EGR and Evap components because the 240Z is a whopping 500lbs lighter. Since I am going to remove those, I figure the fuel efficiency will be decreased back to that 20mpg.

I almost forgot to mention that I plan on running with close to stock boost until I start doing more modifications. The Megasquirt system can be programmed to run in an "economy mode" where you can get over 30mpg on the freeway. It's a great investment if you know as much about EFI as most guys on this forum. (I walked away from this idea so that should tell you how much I know!)