HybridZ

76 Tranny problem

Guest Zlovin'

Guest Zlovin'

Hey there, ive got a 76 280z with a 4-11 rear end but the transmission keeps getting trashed by it, any ideas for a substitute? I heard the 5 speed out of a 80's zx would do the trick, jw if thats true since ive got an 82 zx for a parts car, wanna check before i do the work

What is the problem you're having with the tranny? Aside from that, how would the transmission get hurt by the diff ratio? That don't make no sense. The transmission isn't getting trashed by the differential.

To answer your other question, the ZX transmission has much better ratios for a 4.11 diff.

Guest Zlovin'

Im just going with what the previous owner has told me, he said that bearings need to be replaced because the differential caused them some damage? I'm not too educated on how it all works but am I better off swapping the tranny anyways?

usually countershaft bearings go out because of leak at speedo drive gear .trans running low on oil.82 trans has closer 1st to 4th but more od in 5th-just the unit for 3.9 or 4.1 rear.it also has a different pivot point on shift linkage so shifts are a little shorter.seals for speedo drive are cheap at nissan.i use a 82 trans behind my turbo l28 -it drives nice with redline mtl in it.a nice smooth shift.