HybridZ

Bolt on flares from Porsche?

DavyZ

maybe some of the RX7 LS1 owners on this site can post about this.

from what ive read and heard it didnt really change weight bias much (i do see what you mean and i would like to know for a fact too)..

mike

in the FC chassis the rotary sits kinda foward, if you modified the car a bit to put the V8 farther back, you might get a nice wieght distro. Also, the tranny for the 13B is kinda light, the larger tranny for the LS1 could also bring the weight not only back, but down.

There's always ways to improve, but I could make many of the same statements about putting a FD 13B-REW into a FC.

Now, on3go, you hit the nail on the head, emissions. The rotary burns oil, period. This means death in the US and death in the US could mean overall death to it in the world. Mazda needs to hurry up and make a rotary bike that competes with the fastest bikes on the planet. That would alow them to keep working on the rotary design and build a more "no compromise" rotary. Mazda needs to get thier butts in gear, the rotary has a long way to go if they want to keep it as a viable motor in the future market.

Ok.. now, I'm not one for hijacking a thread... but come on.. Golum, you can call my V8 RX7 discusting if you like, but I'll bet you couldn't build a rotary.. ANYTHING.. that goes like my car, for the measly $2000 I have into it. Yah yah yah, rotary this, potential that, if you wana bankroll it, no prob man, I'll build a rotary!! :lol:

Bone stock rotary makes 160 horse at 8000rpm and 140Lbs torque at 5000rpm (or something to that effect) And every 100km they pop.. I don't care how well you 'take care of them' , they are not reliable. They are interesting for sure, but not my choice for reliable power..

My bone stock 350 TBI makes way more HP and toruqe that that rotary, and at a much lower rpm. Weight issue.. well, I'm using an old iron block so I've added 150-200 pounds to the front of the car, but you know what? You can hardly tell. (FWIW, you can actually get an FC RX7 LIGHTER in the front end with a ford 302 w/aluminum heads, ect, and damn close with a LSx motor.) I believe the FC's are around 52/48 for weight distribution.

My 7 is still a very drivable car, and although it rides a little lower in the front end, you honestly can't even tell it has a V8 until I step on it. I set the motor in as far back as possible (dizzy is about .750" from the firewall) and as low as I could go (just over .5" between pan and rack) and although I havn't weighed my rex, I don't think I'm that nose heavy... it sure goes around the twisties nicely..

Really, you could make a better arguement against V8 Datsuns because IMO the inline 6 has a LOT of potential for power, and although it costs $$$ you will still get a measure of reliability and longevity.. (more than any rotary anyway..) so why bother puting in a V8? :toetap05: I have to say I was suprised to see a post like that on HERE of all places... :lol:

ANYway.. I just might have to look into a set of those flairs for my RX7.. it's got the POWER to back up some mean looks now... and the 'cats out of the bag' around here anyway, most folks know my car now, so the shock value is gone...

did you only read my first post in this thred and then post? I conceeded that I could understand the V8 route but just said I much prefer the rotary in the FC (and other light cars wink wink miata).

If cost is the issue, then yes, the rotary IS more expensive and cost more to sustain due to frequent rebuilds.

And actually I think a V8 is a much better partner to a Z then a FC, because many V8s are lighter than the L series motors.

Honestly, I feel like i've dug a whole for myself. I have nothing agaist V8 motors, but yet I find this feeling in my gut that I can't explain that would never let me put one in a RX7. I don't know what it is, if I knew what it was I would tell you. Maybe it's the same reason that I couldn't ever put a V8 in skyline. Sure, there are V8s with as much potential as the RB motors, but there is just something about what the car stands for I couldn't touch.

But, that's WHY we're all different. I was wrong to shoot down the idea SO harshly. I should have just stated that it was a different idea that I'd never thought of and probly would never do. So, in spirit of good hybridizing, more power to ya man!

Just one question, are you getting better gas milage than before? Because I know the FC cars where known for poor gas milage to begin with. A good V8 might be able to put down double the power on the same gas amount. That's a neat concept.

Meh.. maybe that IS the reason I DID put a V8 in.. :lol: I actually did read the next post, but the first one still sort of rubbed me the wrong way.. Not really upset, just seamd a little too "purist" a thing to post IMO..

Anyway, I never drove this particular FC (bought it without rotary motor/tranny) but my parts car that I bought from a friend of mine was the identical car. Before hers 'poped' two years ago, she was using it as a daily driver and was always a little upset that it got horrible gas milage. Her other vehicle was a 2001 Dodge Durango 4x4 with a 360 V8, and it was almost as good on gas!!! (not to mention a little more powerfull and torquey!) Even though mine has yet to be 'finished' and needs fine tuning, I'm getting prety good milage.. about the same as my 4x4 V6 truck, and the 7 is a LOT more fun to drive.. I know I could get even better milage, but I can't keep my foot off the stupid pedel. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...