HybridZ

Exhaust ground clearance

Al Keller

Well what is the car that you have? I can say that I am about at that hieght from the ground in my 280ZXT, and I am running a full 3 inch exhaust. and you cant even notice it from under the car.

I do think this would be different with the Z though I am not sure.

I should have been more explicit...

It is a '72 with a full tube chassis. The floor pan runs underneath the 2"x3" main chassis rails. The suspension is C4 Corvette front and rear with coil overs. I read several threads here that helped but didn't really answer the question - If you're running 5" - 6" ground clearance on the street and the exhaust pipes need to be 3" in diameter (or equivalent in oval/rectangular) to support the engine output, will exhaust pipes under the car work or should I go straight to side pipes?

Thanks very much,

Al

are you saying that at some point you will need to run the exhaust under the floor pan, leaving you with 2" of ground clearance?

if that is the case I would deffinitely consider another option, such as oval or rectangular pipes as you mention.

The exhaust on my z sits about 4 inches off the ground and I always hear a light scrape over the larger bumps around here.

don't know if that helped. BTW do you have any pics of your car? i'd like to see the full tube setup and the suspension you have.

-Oliver

We installed a custom 3 inch setup in Jim McNemar's car. It works but ground clearance is tight. He has a full cage and frame rails under the floor pans, as you explained in yours. JIm's wasn't made with a complete mandrel bend setup. Instead the idiots that did the work made it with all those nice little ripples in the pipes... :eek:

We've got coil overs on his car and the stance is about right... Can't lay hands on it to measure from the frame rails, but I'm guessing we have about 3-3.5 inches to the ground from the bottoms of the rails.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...